Me and Kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHatter

Reaction score
When I drink draft beers at the bar, it gets me drunk way bad. I've heard other people are like that too. Needless to say I don't drink draft at all. My question is this: does anyone know why draft beer affects some people in this manner and will I be able to keg my own beer without it having the same effect?

Possible explanations:
1) You drink it faster (vs. drinking straight out of a bottle)
2) The servings are bigger (pints vs 12-oz bottles)
3) The drafts you drink are different, higher-ABV brews than what you'd drink from a bottle
4) You're imagining it

Well, a pint of beer is 4 oz more than a bottle. So, 3 pints of draft is equal to 4 bottles of beer.

That might be the problem.

It also depends on what you're drinking from bottles vs. on tap. ABV can vary significantly. Additionally, it's even harder to keep track of how much you've had when you're ordering pitchers.

Just a thought.

kvh

they probably serve draft beer at a slightly warmer temperature, so you drink it faster before it gets 'too warm'...in addition to being larger servings.

or its all in your head.

malkore said:
they probably serve draft beer at a slightly warmer temperature, so you drink it faster before it gets 'too warm'...in addition to being larger servings.

or its all in your head.

I think the first answer is very insightful. Good call!

But, the second one? All in my head? Uh, yeah. I don't know the difference between being slobbering, can't stand up, passing out at the bar drunk, and having just a warm pleasant buzz. Maybe I'll figure that out before I turn 40.

I think volume might have something to do with it, since the cost of a bottle is more than the cost of a mug (here in Canada, at least)...$20 will buy you either: 4-5 bottles or 6-7 mugs of draft....

its like comparing apples and oranges ;)

Another idea not mentioned is carbonation!!! (Other than drinking more)

Draft beer is generally less carbonated than bottled beer, be that the CO2 level is lower and that the act of pouring releases CO2. Beer with less CO2 goes down the gullet faster and doesn't fill you up as quickly.

The glass size and use of a pitcher all contribute to quicker drunkeness. :mug:

NurseNan said:
I think volume might have something to do with it, since the cost of a bottle is more than the cost of a mug (here in Canada, at least)...$20 will buy you either: 4-5 bottles or 6-7 mugs of draft....

its like comparing apples and oranges ;)
Damn, I wish I lived where you do! A pint costs me between $5 and $6. Though I only buy stouts and real ale for the most part, they're probably a little more expensive.

Having done a bit of comparison between draft craft beers and the same beers bottled, I'm inclined to the pitcher vs. pint vs. bottle theory. It's much easier to drink from a mug than a bottle or can. Also, when drinking with other people, there is a tendency to lose track of how much has been consumed. The 'I only bought one pitcher' problem.

Non-craft beers are clustered around 4% ABV, craft beers 5-6%; so comparing them is tough. A 22 ounce schooner of Black Panther (9.8%) has the same amount of alcohol as five cans of BMC.

There are a few breweries who have inconsistencies from draft to bottle.

I had more then one experience with Terminal Grivity IPA. I can drink a six pack of the 12 oz bottles, and get a light buzz. Three pints of the stuff on draft at the bar tastes like JET FUEL, and gets me HAMMERED! It's like the friggen alcohol settles to the bottom of the keg or something. Thats the only way I can describe it.

i seem to drink alot faster out of a glass than a can or bottle, i can knock back quite a few in a short period of time out of a glass lol

Back