Guinness sign.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was taking a wizz at a local restaurant and saw this above the urinal. While all of the suggestions made me want to cringe (with the exception of the Blacksmith)....the bottom one made me want to cry.

guinness.jpg

Irish whisky is out too, huh? Irish whisky stout sounds good to me.

I tried a Black Velvet once. That's Guinness and Champagne.

Once. Never again.

the pub I frequent mixes Guinness and Woodchuck cider, a combo which is supposedly popular around here. It is one of the worst drinks I have ever tasted

I am going to take a more positive position on this subject and present the view that these terrible combinations serve to turn drinkers of crappy beer to drinkers of great beer.

Although it perplexes a majority of us, the fact remains that many people shudder at the thought of drinking a whole glass of Guinness. Hopefully they drink a few of these, learn to like them and then question WHY they like them. They will reach full beer development when they realize that the reason they enjoy those combinations is because of the warm feeling they get in their loins at the anticipation of the dark heavenly bliss that floats in the upper portion of the glass. The sign is a good thing!

I am going to take a more positive position on this subject and present the view that these terrible combinations serve to turn drinkers of crappy beer to drinkers of great beer.

Although it perplexes a majority of us, the fact remains that many people shudder at the thought of drinking a whole glass of Guinness. Hopefully they drink a few of these, learn to like them and then question WHY they like them. They will reach full beer development when they realize that the reason they enjoy those combinations is because of the warm feeling they get in their loins at the anticipation of the dark heavenly bliss that floats in the upper portion of the glass. The sign is a good thing!

True, but for the life of me and can't see how adding Bud Lite will make anyone like beer at all....LMAO.

sure, take all the fun outta it! :ban:

no, you're right, things like black n tans and the like tend to let BMC drinkers realize that guinness isn't the thick, strong motor oil they once assumed it is. dunno if that's a good thing or not, guinness itself has been slipping in quality for some time now, and they've seemed to switch their advertising focus to your 'average' beer drinker. that said, it's a good way to open someone up to the wonderful world of craft and imported beers. :mug:

True, but for the life of me and can't see how adding Bud Lite will make anyone like beer at all....LMAO.

Yeah you're right, that is a terrible idea. I took my brother in law to a RAM restaurant and had him try a few of their beers. He took one drink, put a frown on his face and said, "Ehhh, I don't like it," and ordered a Bud Light after that. Mind you this guy drinks nothing but Bud Light. He's been asking for a homebrew for the past few weeks, but I'm on the fence because I don't want to waste My Precious on someone who frowns at great beer.

Never was able to figure out how Guiness was an "acquired taste". Maybe I waited long enough in my beer drinking development to drink it? When I was 18 I was getting an 8 Pack of Keith's and 4 New Castle's to pre game with before the bar. Learned to like almost any darker UK style beer I could get my hands on that way.

On the flip side, I still haven't really found a European beer, ale, lager, pilsner, whatever, that I'd drink more than once.

I had my very first Guinness a few days ago. It tasted pretty good, but both my Deception Cream Stout and my Bourbon Barrel Porter are better! It took me 65 years to drink my first Guinness...and I'll probably wait that long for the second!

glenn615:mug:

I posted this list back in 08.

Half and half
In Ireland, a traditional Half and Half consists of half warm or room temperature Guinness and half chilled Guinness. In the early days, refrigeration was of course unavailable. As refrigeration came into existence in the 20th century, it was found that a mixture of the two temperatures created the perfect drinking temperature for Guinness. Most Guinness poured in Ireland is served at about this temperature, roughly 44 degrees Fahrenheit (6° Celsius). In the Unites States, Half and Half consists of Harp's Lager topped with Guinness. Half and half implies that both ales come from the Guinness Brewery.

Black and White
Stout with any light colored beer.

Black and Blue
Stout with Blue Moon Belgian White, or stout and blueberry ale, Guinness and Pabst Blue Ribbon, Guinness and Labatt Blue. Typically, this refers to any variation of stout coupled with blueberry-flavored ales or brands with the name "Blue" in them.

Black & Sam
Guinness stout and Sam Adam's Boston Lager (also called a Patriot Pint or Boston Half & Half)

Black & Cherry
Guinness stout and Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat

Black and Orange
Stout and pumpkin ale (Also known as a "Black & Blumpkin", or a "Black-O-Blumpkin"[The Gilded Otter Brewpub in New Paltz, New York calls this mixture a Stumpkin])

Black Sap
Stout and Sapporo

All Irish Black & Tan a.k.a. Pint of Special a.k.a Blacksmith
Guinness Stout and Smithwick's Irish Ale
Pint of Special or sometimes called a 99
Similar to the all Irish Black and Tan served mostly in the west of Ireland. Made with more than 75% Smithwick's topped up with a Guinness head

Garnet and Black
Guinness and Killian's Irish Red. This is a regional variation in South Carolina, named after the school colors of the University of South Carolina.

Old Dirty Englishman
Half Guinness and half Tetley's

Sweet Black and Tan
Sweetheart Stout and any light ale (i.e. 60 shilling)

Philadelphia Black & Tan
Half Guinness Stout and half Yuengling Lager

Black & Gold
Half Guinness Stout and half hard cider (e.g., Westons or Woodchuck). Sometimes incorrectly referred to as a snakebite, which is actually a mixture of half lager and half cider. When made specifically with Woodchuck Cider it is also called a Stout Woody

Black Christmas (or Kwanzaa)
Guinness draught over Christmas Ale.

Black & Red
Half chocolate stout over half raspberry or cherry lambic

Black & Red
Half Guinness and half Red Stripe

Black Hoe
Half Guinness and half Hoegaarden.

Thistle & Shamrock
Beamish & McEwan's

Irish American
Half Guinness and half Budweiser.

Irish Canadian
Half Guinness and half Molson Canadian

Black Castle
Half Guinness and half Newcastle Brown Ale.

San Patricios
Half Guinness and half any Mexican beer (Corona, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Negro Modelo)

Black Tire
Half Guinness and half New Belgium Fat Tire

Irish Anarchist
Any Irish stout atop any Irish red ale. The name is a reference to the anarchist-syndicalist flag, which is black and red.

The Greatness : Half Guinness and Half Great White. (Great White is from Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, Ca.)

Eclipse/Black Moon
Half Guinness and Half Blue Moon

Black Girl
Half Guinness and St. Pauli Girl

Tetness
Half Guinness and half Tetley's

Tetness Shot
Part Guinness and part Tetley's and part Starbucks Coffee Liqueur. Be careful; this one stings a bit!

Blacks on Blondes
Half Young's Double Chocolate Stout and half Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde

Innis & Guinness (invented by Brent Swallowell)
Half Innis & Gunn and half Guinness

Green Goblin (invented by Geoff Wayne)
Half Heineken and half Hobgoblin

Imperial Black & Tan (invented by David Hatling)
Half Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and half Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout

Dark & Steamy (invented by Joe Fahrner)
Half Anchor Steam Beer and half Guinness

Black Magic
Half Guinness and Half Magic Hat #9

Dirty Bush (Traditional)
Half stout Guinness half Bush Light Mixed Seasonally.

Here's one that didn't make that list:

Blank and 'Tansett.

Guinness and Narragansett Lager. The bar on campus used to charge $4 bucks and give you the can. Not bad for college town prices.

Back