Ideal location of Mashtun Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
I am converting kegs, and I am wondering (mostly making sure) what the ideal location of the mashtun thermometer is?

I will mainly be doing 5 gallon batches in these converted kegs (15.5 gall) and I don't want to put it too high and it not be in the mash for my smaller batches (10-12# grain bills)

I have the ball valve fairly low, but I am using a 3" thermometer and I don't think it will fit above the BV and under the 1st small bulge. But I am afraid that if I put in in the middle 1/3 of the keg that it might not get covered by those session beer mashes...

Should I just put it in the upper part of the lower 1/3 and to the side of the BV?

thanks ahead of time!

I'd consider doing a batch in there first and marking the high water level during the process and installing it after that. I know, not ideal, but you'll make sure you get it right the first time.

I just started converting a keg for the same purpose, though I'm moving to 10 gallon, I wish I had done a test fill first.

I would just move it to one side or the other of the ball valve. Also, will the mashtun be direct fired? If so make sure that it is not above any of the vents/holes in the ring of the keg(not the best description) because heat will pour out of these when there is a flame underneath. Are you more worried about hot/cold spots or just making sure that the thermometer is always submerged?

I have thought about this also. I use a 10 gallon round Gott cooler. I installed a thermo well in the middle of the tun. Then also installed on down by my ball valve at the bottom. You will be amazed and the temp differantal between the two. But, the middle thermowell is where I put my temp probe for the PID.
My reason, I believe that the middle is the overall temp of the ENTIRE mash. Where as the bottom one is just the run off.......But, unlike yours, mine is not direct fired.
Hope this helps.
Don

Back