Followed Deathbrewers Partial Mash methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyjerz

Reaction score
This is my first time doing partial mash. Last night was my first time making a starter. BIG weekend for me :) lol

Right now I'm in the process of making the AHS Dunkelweizen that was part of the $20 sale at AHS. I've just added my hops and waiting on 60 minutes to arrive. So now is a good time to post some pictures.

Hefeweizen ale WL300
1 ½ lb. German Pilsner Malt
¾ lb. Red Wheat
½ lb. Caramel Wheat
¼ lb. Caramunich Malt
2 oz De-Bittered Black Malt
5 lb Wheat Extract
1 oz Splatz
1oz Hershbrucker 1/2 flavor 1/2 aroma (addition)
OG 1.051

I'm just going to post pictures of what I did while using Deathbrewers posts to keep me on point. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

3298-imag0691.jpg

3299-imag0692.jpg

3300-imag0697.jpg

3301-imag0701.jpg

3302-imag0706.jpg

3303-imag0702.jpg

I'll add more in a bit.

Late night brewing! :rockin:

How did it go?

Yea I brew best when wifey is asleep. I bottle best when wifey is awake! :rockin:

Pretty good. Here's the follow up pictures. I was off gravity a little nothing major though. 1.049 instead of 1.051

I forgot to mention I added a tablespoon of Irish moss at when I added the hops 15 mins to the end of the boil.

I added half an oz at 15min to end of the boil then the other half at 5 mins left. These did not come with the kit.

3304-imag0707.jpg

Semi crash cooling
3305-imag0708.jpg

I like to go carboy but I don't have an easy way to transfer to it, so I use the bucket to aerate and ad yeast.
3306-imag0709.jpg

I let the wart splash into the carboy so it aerates more.
3307-imag0710.jpg

Ready to settle out!
3308-imag0713.jpg

Good call on the blow-off tube! If that's anything like the wyeast hefe yeast its gonna ferment like crazy and quickly eat up that headspace. At least that's what mine did :D.

Good call on the blow-off tube! If that's anything like the wyeast hefe yeast its gonna ferment like crazy and quickly eat up that headspace. At least that's what mine did :D.

O yea it's chugging away right now. I had started a thread about my first starter not looking like it was doing anything but Revvy said it is. Sure enough its going like mad. I will ALWAYS use a starter for now on. None of my batches ever had crazy movement like this.

IMAG0716.jpg

Video

By the way the blow off bucket is to small. I'll be swapping it out in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, starters normally just ferment so fast and fall out you never really see them do much. Not sure what size carboy you've got there, but if you ever decide to upgrade you could go to a larger size and not have to worry as much. Just got a 6.5 gal a few batches ago and I've had a lot less trouble with blowoffs. Not to say some batches won't still go crazy though!

Back