www.fiftypoundsack.com - cheap bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 lb sack shipped for $60? Order 'em from morebeer in 10 lb increments and it's $1.04/lb shipped.

That's before shipping. Read the details on the free shipping.

MoreSaver!™ Shipping - Free shipping on most orders over $59.00, orders ship out of our doors in 2-4 Business days.

If you buy 12, it might qualify. I'm guessing that they will catch on that you are not buying the 50 pound bag which does not have free shipping. It's $50.95 in shipping charges for a 50 pound bag, plus the $32.50 for the grain itself.

Now you might add on a few to another order to get your free shipping but we are trying to look at strictly grain prices and I think in 50-55 pound sizes.

Fine, except you compared his highest priced grain with the lowest priced bulk grain. How is that fair?

_

No I didn't. I was actually comparing Rahr 2-Row across both sources. He brought up the Maltteurop 2-Row which is the cheapest grain on their site and the only thing they sell under $60.

MoreSaver!™ Shipping - Free shipping on most orders over $59.00, orders ship out of our doors in 2-4 Business days.

If you buy 12, it might qualify. I'm guessing that they will catch on that you are not buying the 50 pound bag which does not have free shipping. It's $50.95 in shipping charges for a 50 pound bag, plus the $32.50 for the grain itself.

Now you might add on a few to another order to get your free shipping but we are trying to look at strictly grain prices and I think in 50-55 pound sizes.

If you buy $59 worth of grain in 5lb increments from B3 they will ship it for free.

Look, I'm not here to criticize anyone. People can sell for whatever they want and people can buy or not buy. It's a free country. My only point is that if someone is going to start a business to exclusively sell bulk grains over the internet, you'd think they'd find a way to make it cheaper than just buying by the pound from all of the other internet homebrew stores. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's like going to Costco and finding the same unit prices as the local supermarket just in bigger packages.

You're splitting hairs here.

He has given you a source for $1.04/lb, shipped to your door, base grain.

Yes, you have to buy 60# of it to get the free shipping, but you're already talking about buying 55#, so what's 5# more?

And they don't have any clause that says "limit X per customer" so if they want to break it down into 5# bags and sell it to me for cheaper than buying a while 55# bag, then.... well... that's their issue and not mine.

I might have a very good reason for buying it in 5# bags. Like... maybe I have no vacuum sealer and want to be able to use this grain over the course of a year. A 55# sack is more expensive and more likely to stale on me than 60# packed up in 5# bricks.

You're splitting hairs here.

He has given you a source for $1.04/lb, shipped to your door, base grain.

Yes, you have to buy 60# of it to get the free shipping, but you're already talking about buying 55#, so what's 5# more?

And they don't have any clause that says "limit X per customer" so if they want to break it down into 5# bags and sell it to me for cheaper than buying a while 55# bag, then.... well... that's their issue and not mine.

I might have a very good reason for buying it in 5# bags. Like... maybe I have no vacuum sealer and want to be able to use this grain over the course of a year. A 55# sack is more expensive and more likely to stale on me than 60# packed up in 5# bricks.

Come to think of it, I kind of like the idea of buying it in 10lb bricks since that's about what I use in base grain per batch. Much easier to just grab a brick and dump it into the mill than to measure our 10lbs from a sack. Hmmmm.....

Look, I'm not here to criticize anyone. People can sell for whatever they want and people can buy or not buy. It's a free country. My only point is that if someone is going to start a business to exclusively sell bulk grains over the internet, you'd think they'd find a way to make it cheaper than just buying by the pound from all of the other internet homebrew stores. Otherwise it makes no sense, it's like going to Costco and finding the same unit prices as the local supermarket just in bigger packages.

I totally agree with this.

I was expecting 50poundsack to be a great go-to source for great prices on grain bought in large quantities, and it just hasn't turned out to be true.

If they will sell it in 5 pound increments and anything over $59 is free shipping, nice deal for sure. It's a mistake on their end if you ask me since a 50 pound bag is $83 shipped. I might take a look thanks.
And I wasn't trying to split hairs. the 50-55 pound vs 60 wasn't my argument. I was talking 5 pound vs 50-55. If they will ship 12 five pound bags for free, then he's right and I'm wrong.
Thankfully I can get a 50 pound bag local for $37.50 plus tax.

I'm not sure what you're saying. :cross:

I bought 150 lbs of it and the shipping was free. Hilarious to thing about how much they would have charged me for shipping the same weight of the same grain in larger sacks!

Edit: I figured out what you're saying -- not sure why I'm so dense this morning. At any rate, I'm happy to buy a couple of extra pounds for free shipping and a better per pound price... aren't you? :)

If they will sell it in 5 pound increments and anything over $59 is free shipping, nice deal for sure. It's a mistake on their end if you ask me since a 50 pound bag is $83 shipped. I might take a look thanks.
And I wasn't trying to split hairs. the 50-55 pound vs 60 wasn't my argument. I was talking 5 pound vs 50-55. If they will ship 12 five pound bags for free, then he's right and I'm wrong.
Thankfully I can get a 50 pound bag local for $37.50 plus tax.

:mug:

We've got a hell of a deal going on down here in the Raleigh area thanks to a guy with an account at North Country Malt.

55# sacks of 2-row for $30
55# sacks of Maris Otter for $38.
55# sacks of Munich for $30.

Granted, we need a bunch of guys to get together for this to happen, but we don't seem to have any issues with it. We've literally bought about 4 tons of grain so far this year.

Nice score there. A new lhbs opened up for my price. I'd love some Marris at that price.

Love me some brew talk banter.

If I am reading this all right, this is a shot to 50#. If so I agree. The hops prices are pretty decent, but the grain prices (the entire reason they are called 50# sack), are lackluster at best. If you buy hops you can save, but 50# sack refers to grain buys.

I actually have written to 50# telling them the above. They came back and compared hop + grain buys across companies. The ONLY thing that would make buying from 50# worthwhile is if you can't get in on a grain buy and you need hops too (the bulk hops prices beat out the single ounce hop costs at competing comps). Again, it is still a lackluster savings IMHO.

Then again seeing those 1.04lb prices, 50# just added to the lack luster bulk wanna be suppliers.

The honest truth is LHBS have no interest in selling bulk grains (internet stores can't competitively ship the large bags). They don't make good money on them. But for the maltsters it is beneficial to let us do the bulk buys. I will buy way more grain if I can get it in bulk (they sell the same price to the stores as they do for us in a bulk buy). If I had to go to the LHBS I would brew way less. Currently they ask for ~$70 for briess 2row 50# bag. Total crap. Not even a real incentive to buy bulk.

If my LHBS had been even close to reasonable on a bulk bag, I wouldn't have had the incentive to initiate a bulk grain buy. So I guess.... thanks to my LHBS

Love me some brew talk banter.

If I am reading this all right, this is a shot to 50#. If so I agree. The hops prices are pretty decent, but the grain prices (the entire reason they are called 50# sack), are lackluster at best. If you buy hops you can save, but 50# sack refers to grain buys.

I actually have written to 50# telling them the above. They came back and compared hop + grain buys across companies. The ONLY thing that would make buying from 50# worthwhile is if you can't get in on a grain buy and you need hops too (the bulk hops prices beat out the single ounce hop costs at competing comps). Again, it is still a lackluster savings IMHO.

On a positive note, they do offer $10 off on order over $100 and $25 off orders over $200. That's a step in the right direction. Bump those rebates up a little and maybe offer a real big one at the $500 level and it starts to get competitive again. Then I might start thinking about going in on an order with a buddy or two (much less hassle than a group grain buy). After all, a 50 lb sack is only 5 brews.

Depending on your location 50# sack might be a good deal...For me, and it sounds like many others, it is not even close to the best deal.

Depending on your location 50# sack might be a good deal...For me, and it sounds like many others, it is not even close to the best deal.

What does location have to do with it. The shipping prices are the same online for everyone. Do you mean a local pickup?

What does location have to do with it. The shipping prices are the same online for everyone. Do you mean a local pickup?

Some people order from sites that don't give them flat rate shipping. Certain locations are more expensive to ship to. Thus if they are in an expensive location 50# sack could be a better deal.

(much less hassle than a group grain buy).

Well worth the hassle in m opinion. For example, I bought 2row, superior pale malt, maris otter, munich, pilsner and C40 (8 bags total). We had more expensive shipping because it was delivered to residence, so I averaged $35 per bag (~$280 for 8 bags). If I bought from 50#, all the types I did on my recent bulk order, but instead from 50# it would have cost (~$535 that includes the $25 off).

Some people order from sites that don't give them flat rate shipping. Certain locations are more expensive to ship to. Thus if they are in an expensive location 50# sack could be a better deal.

Gotcha - I thought you just meant 50# only. But you meant pricing between various online sellers. Thanks for the clarification

My LHBS has american 2row pale 50# for $46.. seems like a good deal. Right now I'm buying the 5# bags for 5.50 from them. The store is about 3 minutes from my house.

+1 on Group buys.

I just got on one here. $95 bucks for 3 sacks of grain. Where you gonna get a better price than than? If not for group buys I don't know if I would even brew. I mean if I had to pay $50-$70 for a sack of grain I probably would quit homebrewing altogether.

Steinbarts in Portland just had a sale on Malteurop 2 row at $27
for a 50 lb bag. I walked out with 4 bags and should have bought more.

Since posting in this thread 20 months age I've discovered I can locally buy 50 lb sacks of great western 2-row for $27 out the door. Last time I restocked I picked up a sack of german munich malt for $35, too. :D

Back