Comark DT400 thermometer to good to be true?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good sub $50 theromemter that would work best for mashing but still have all around use. I found a thread were someone said they have good luck with the DT400. It is $20 + shipping and the specs rival the thermapen with accuracy at 0.5 C / 1.0F. Does anyone else use this thermometer? I have yet to find a bad review on it and everyone seems to say the temp is spot on

http://www.comarkltd.com/product.tpl?product_id=424

Waterproof
Response time better than 6 seconds
°F/°C switchable
Maximum temperature hold
Field Calibratable
Auto power off
NSF
BioCote® antimicrobial protection

That is a very nice inexpensive little thermometer. It's specs however, do not rival that of a Thermapen. Thermapen's accuracy is +/-.72*F with .1* resolution and the readings settle ≤ 3 seconds to within 1°F. The DT400 does not specify resolution ( I will assume it is 1*) and is not as accurate. Perhaps a thermometer with the specifications of a thermapen is not required for brewing but in no way, shape or form does the DT400's specs rival a Thermapen.

i have no doubt the thermapen is better. that said for 1/5 the price i still think the specs rival (not match) the thermapen assuming that the specs are solid. This may be a very good replacement for money straped people like myself that wants a good thermometer for mashing

Back