Horrible problem! Too many kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
In case you couldn't tell, the titles a bit of a joke:D First off thanks to everyone who helped me with my last few threads, Oktoberfest turned out great and I've got a little bit extra that's tiding me over!

Anyways, I stumbled (not literally) onto a large number of kegs.... seven 1/2 barrels to be exact. These are older, the seller thinks from the 60's, so they definitely are not Sanke. I was thinking Hoff-stevens. They do not have a bung... sorry, but instead only have one opening on the top. If it's a hoff stevens I do actually have the coupler/tap whatever you'd call it. I'm buying them all, the price is quite ridiculous to say the least, but what the hell do I do with 7 kegs! I don't think I have all the tools to turn the three I'd want into a three tier system! I guess I'll have time and extras to fudge up....

I'm looking for your guys ideas and thoughts about what you would do with them (I'm talking DIY projects). Maybe some projects you'd want to try if you had a large spare hunk of rolled up stainless steel. I'll update what they are with more details when I pick them up!

fementors, coffee table, cut them in half and turn them into florescent fixtures, BBQ grill, Smoker, chairs. the question is what COULDN'T you do with with kegs :D

oh boy.... well I'm not sure what the heck I bought (but of course I bought them anyways). 7 kegs, with a name Kegseal on the top as well as "The Lee Steel Cooperage Co, Detroit" along with The National Brewing Co, Detroit on the side. (I should recheck, pretty sure that was it). It looks like there was a bung hole on most of these, though I think the guy I bought these from welded most of them shut at some point. One of them was simply plugged with a tacky substance. Apparently the guy used these on a pontoon boat or something. The is only one area to tap (not like golden gate kegs) though the keg physically looks like one.

The connection where you would tap the beer looks neither like a golden gate set up or a hoff stevens. What could it be? I need to make a flicker account so I can take some pictures. It looks like a small hole has been drilled into the top of some of these kegs, but not all of them (so someone must have done this). There may be dates on the kegs, they all seem to have a number like 9-49, 2-50, 6-50 etc. Can someone tell me more about these?

The coupler or top (whatever it is) at the top of the keg almost looks like a G-type coupler except two sides are flat (parallel to each other) and two sides are smooth half circles. Can someone tell me more about these?

Once I figure out what kind of kegs these are, I'm going to try to move forward with deciding what the hell to do with them!

Latest posts

Back