Recipe critique please: pumpkin wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
Well this is my first attempt at creating a recipe for a more involved beer (so far I've just created a few basic lagers/porters). I'm hoping to make this one just in time for October so here it is...
5 gallon Batch..

Grains
5# Malted Wheat
3.5# Lager Malt
1.2# Carapils Malt

Mash
Protein Rest 122˚/20 minutes
Scarification Rest 152˚/40 minutes

Boil - 60 min
.5 oz Saaz (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (30 min)

Yeast: Wyeast 1010 - American wheat

Processes
1) 2.5# Fresh (neck or rogue) pumpkin cut up into 1 inch cubes and rolled in brown sugar. Bake at 300˚ for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Add to beginning of mash.

2) Spice Tea - 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp allspice and 1tps nutmeg boiled for 10-15 min in a cup of water. Let cool, then added to wort at KO/flame out.

Specs
Brewhouse efficiency: 80%
OG: 1.057
TG: 1.014
ABV: 5.6%
IBU: 16

Notes: I'm going for the refreshing body of a wheat beer with some of the malt flavors coming through, I don't want too much of an overwhelming pumpkin/spice flavor so that it overpowers the malts.

A few questions:
1) Should I include a mash-out step? I've heard that raw pumpkin can be really quite gummy so maybe loosening up all the sugars could help prevent a stuck sparge?

2) Do you think this is too spicy to meet my expectations for the beer? I really want people to know they are drinking a wheat beer not just a vegetable/spice one.

ALL critques/comments are welcome - I'm really quite new to the whole writing up a recipe business. Thanks!

I will probably have it a week in primary and then rack it into a secondary, to leave some of the crud that i put in it behind, for about a week more before kegging and carbonating.

Hey - How'd this turn out?? I am venturing down a similar path and looking for more recipe help...

ahhh whoa old thread -

The beer came out pretty good. The wheat added a nice smooth and bready flavor to the beer which went very well with the pumpkin flavors. I would change a few things however - Up the IBUs to mid 20's and eliminate the 30 minute hop addition.

As far as the grain bill goes, I would recommend adding some kind of crystal/amber malts to the mix (cutting back on the carapils) to add a bit more complexity and sweetness. If I recall, this beer finished around 1.011-1.012... a little lower than expected.

The spices were very prominent in this beer. I would cut them by about half. Also, I would just mix all of them up, throw 2/3 of them in the boil at FO. Then, when it's time to keg or bottle throw the remaining 1/3 spice mix. I recently just did this spicing technique with a rye pumpkin ale and it produced outstanding results.

Also, be sure to use RICE HULLS. With all the pumpkin and wheat use at least half a pound.

Latest posts

Back