Fill Co2 from 50# to 5# tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itr1197

Reaction score
I own a restaurant and have 50# tanks that are used for dispensing soda. I wanted to know if I could use one of those tanks to fill my 5# tank in my kegerator. I'm trying to avoid having to drive 10 miles away to a fire extinguisher company each time to refill my 5# tank. Is it possible and what equipment would I need to purchase?

I have read some past posts and saw that inorder to refill a smaller tank the larger one would need to be a syphon tubed tank? Is this correct? Is there a way to tell if my bulk tank is syphon tubed?

Thanks

Some big CO2 tanks include a liquid out post for high volume dispensing applications. Whether your does or not is hard to say without details on or pictures of the tank. They are usually labeled though. If you have a liquid out port on your bulk tank all you need is a high pressure hose, a few valves, and a scale.

Look up filling paintball tanks. That's a pretty common process. It would be the same except you would have to have a different connector on the end of your filling hose.

If you do this - it is critical that you do not overfill your tank.

so if the tank does not have a liquid out port then I'd need a tank that has a syphon tube in it?

If your 50# tank does not have a siphon tube, you would either have to swap that tank out, or you would have to flip it upside down.

I hold my 20# upside down to fill my paintball tank for the portable kegerator.

Back