Full Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasty27

Reaction score
With Tax time approaching I am going to upgrade just a little bit. I want to do a full boil instead of adding the water. I am still on the extract/specialty grain kits. How big of a pot should i get? And is there a certain amount of BTU output on burners i should look for? I've seen one for 55,000 BTUs and another for 120,000 BTUs. Of course the price is about $50 difference. Any help is appreciated!

If you're doing 5 gallon batches an 8 gallon pot should serve you quite well. That's what I've been using for the past 4 years without issue. If you can afford it, obviously go for the higher BTU burner, but the 55K will be adequate if you can't afford the 120K.

And if you can afford it I would recommend a 15 gal brew kettle as that will allow you to grow to 10 batches if you ever decide to do so. Let me just say it is nice to have double to product from just a little bit more time on the brew day.

Word. eventually ima move to all grain, but ima take it one step at a time, full boil - partial mash - all grain. Thanks for the input!

I currently use a 44-quart turkey fryer stainless pot for my 5 gallon batches. It might be a tiny bit overkill but when you start with 7+ gallons at the beginning of the boil and you hit your hot break, that foam can raise up to within a few inches of the top. After seeing this happen many times I would recommend a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon boils, however a minimum of 8 gallons would suffice (just keep a spray bottle on hand in case the foam starts to get away from you).

I'm going to a 8 gallon pot myself. However I'm staying with extract brewing until I retire. To many guys in my club are going back to BiaB or extract from big systems. I'd rather knock out a brew day and then go fishing or play a round of golf lol.

Back