Coriander seed in boil - dump into primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VampireSix

Reaction score
I just did my third brew, the Grand Cru kit from Midwest supplies. This was my first time using spices in a batch.
When it came time to dump the wort into the primary, I left as much of the solids in the boil kettle as possible, like I had done for my first two batches (IPAs). Now, I'm wondering if the coriander and orange peel should have been dumped into the primary as well. Any thoughts?

You will get a lot of different opinions here. My personal opinion is to filter that stuff out before primary. I use a big 5 gallon paint strainer and pour through it into the primary. I want only wort in there fermenting. If I want something else, I will purposefully add it to a secondary at some point.

If you do dump it into the primary, make sure you put a filter on your bottling wand if you don't filter or secondary. I did this once and bottling took me about 3 hours because the perfect little hemispheres of the coriander would get into and clog my bottling wand.

I wouldnt dump it into the primary. Its not like hops other things you might leave in the primary...its a flavor adjunct that is only going to get stronger the longer it stays in there.

Theres a reason most of the time you only add those in the last 10-20 mins of the boil, because they can overpower quickly.

Thanks all. Next time I'll filter it out.

Also, this morning I woke up to an exploded fermentor. This was my first batch making a starter and aerating with pure O2. I had planned on using a blow off tube, and cut the cross section off of the air lock (like recommended elsewhere on the forums), but the 'standard' kit siphon hose didn't fit over the inside of the airlock.
Needless to say, the coriander clogged the airlock.
I really hope this batch turns out ok.

You need something like 1/2" ID tubing to fit over the centerpeice of the airlock. I cut the end off an old "S" type airlock & stuck it in one end of a length of 3/8" tubing for a blow off. It replaces the airlock.

Or like I do for my fine crush for biab partial mash. I use a small food processor we got from my mother God knows how many years ago. 3-4 pulses for a couple seconds each. Works well for biab,which seems to need the finer crush. Just gotta get a 5G paint strainer bag so I can stir the mash. gives higher efficiency,or higher OG.

Wish I could afford one. Tax$$ going to fix kitchen up & the car. Maybe a stove & some new carpet or oak plank flooring.

I just made the same kit today. Left the crud in the bottom of the kettle. I used groud Coriander. Good looking beer

Back