strawberry margarita wine cooler type thing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nWUa4FkMw ......Check this out; this should be how to make wine coolers i used whire grape peach and white grape rasberry to sweet for me but the wife likes it

for the heck of it i'm trying this, my wife likes the mikes strawberry margarita, so i'll make some hooch in a bucket add some margarita and strawberry concentrate and see how it goes over.

if its half way decent i will do it properly and see how that experiment turns out.

i have heard just fermenting sugar water leaves allot to be desired, a few lbs of sugar and gallons of water is cheap so if its turns out wreched its ok, if its drinkable my wife will be overjoyed this is the first thing she has become interested in brewing or wine making wise we did start a white grape peach together but that didn't hook her so maybe this will do it.

You can make a quick strawberry maegarita type cooler using:
2 frozen cans strawberry dacquiri concentrate, 1 can lemonade concentrate, 1 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup water, water to one gallon. Pitch Safale US-50. Document O.G. Cold crash ferment when you think it is to your liking, start tasting around day 3 or 4. Many ferment for 5-7 days at 70-72F, just depends, and do not wait for it to clear. It is an early drinker, not one to store. This is served with pulp floating around in it. You can try two cans lemonade and one can strawberry dacquiri.

yummy ill try that next, i have nottingham would that work?

well so far the sugar water is bubbling along just fine, doesn't even have much of a smell, worst case it all gets mixed with fruit juice and taken to a Halloween party in few weeks

it seems like i used lAvin 1118 and still couldnt get it to past 1.010 so when i added the frozen con. i just added it to what ever the con.said to add and the wife liked it but it was to sweet for me although her friends liked it as well good luck, looks like ive got to make another batch to

i used 1116 because thats what i had, it looks like things are slowing down i will add some nutrient and energiser tonight and give it a stir if i do it again i will start at 1.05 i think

well i got to 1.008 and racked it into a carboy and added some camphden and sorbate now to find a spot to cold crash, dang weather jumped back up into the 60's and i have no fridge or freezer space...

ehh either way its not horrible, its pretty much a less sweet zima that looks kindof like pee, not a very nice descrition but it is what it is, the taste is alcohol and sugar it will mix nice with juice concentrates and please the women with no taste

well i can say this is way cheaper and tastier than wasting money on schmirnof and the like. 5 gallons was around 35 dollars for sugar, juice concentrates, bottle caps water was from the tap, yeast nutrient and energizer and yeast.

we did:
1 gallon of apple/cherry, it's mild and the alcohol comes out but not bad, the cherry and apple are mild.
1 gallon of blueberry/pomegranate both flavors come though well and the alcohol is pretty tame
1 gallon of apple/raspberry the raspberry comes though the most and its not bad
1 gallon of strawberry daiquiri pulpy and tasty, clogged up my bottling wand at the end,
1 gallon of margarita, very lime flavored and margarita flavored over all its almost to strong i would dilute it just a bit more with the sugar wash but not much more.

all these were tasted warm they are all very sweet for me, the wash itself i stopped at 1.008 so depending on your calculator this was about 8.1% before dilution, each gallon of juice concentrate was 2 cans of old orchard the daiquiri and margarita were 3 cans of Bacardi concentrate.

my wife is happy with it, as for me, i would give it more time to go drier then crash and stabilize next time and let it clear more. over all its a quick dirty flat juice flavored drink like the over priced mikes, schmirnof ect type things minus the malf flavor.

sounds like it came out ok ,the wife wanted to try the strawberry daiquiri and margariti sounds like it all turned out well ,i may start another batch today

dr_al said:
yummy ill try that next, i have nottingham would that work?

Yes, nottingham should be fine. Just remember it is a quick ferment, meant to be pulpy. Do not clear, just consume. Women do tend to like this...Freeze in ice cube trays and toss in blender with whatever is handy, a compatible red, white, spirit and you have a frozen wine drink!!

well the 1116 is a freight train, treated and its now bottle carbing, i hope it gets cold out in the next week i dont have enough fridge space, good thing were taking it to a party tonight.

Ok I started this in the video on 11/7/13 got a 5 gallon mix going of

20 cups sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tsp yeast energizer
water to 5 gallons
Lalvin EC-1118

Started by heating some of the reserved 5 gallons of water to melt all sugar and energizer and nutrient then mixed into carboy and pitched yeast on top. SG was 1.072 and yeast took off within 30 minutes and I get a bubble every 3 seconds in the airlock.

Back