Licensing and suchlike.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullfingr

Reaction score
Hello!
I am very interested in trying to get a license in order to be able to sell my homebrew, but I am unsure if this is even possible. The permits in Colorado are a little confusing but basically I was curious on if there would be any way to be able to home brew and sell what I make. Of course I understand I will have to get a license to do so but is it even possible?

typically you're going to need a separate building. although apparently there are some states where it can be the same building, as long as they're totally separated, as in a basement with no doors to the main floor.

Homebrew by legal definition is beer brewed at home for home consumption. So no, you cannot obtain a license to sell homebrew. Instead, you need to obtain a commercial brewing license and everything that goes along with that.

This has been discussed thoroughly on this forum. If you use the search function, you will find a plethora of information. I'll tell you this much, it isn't easy or cheap in ANY state.

First you need to decide if you are going to be a brewpub or just a packaging brewery. Packaging breweries get licensed directly through the state. Brewpubs go through your town clerk. You also need to get federal license through the TTB (Taxation Trade Board) TTOB.Gov that is free and can be done online. You also need a separate location from your home (in Colorado). I have a book on this if you are interested called the Brewery Operations Manual available on our website coloradoboy.com. Some states however will allow you to do this at your home. I know Oregon will. Good luck!

Back