IPA Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I really like the piney taste in Torpedo and the bitter of Ranger. I'd like some sort of combination with some citrus as well. I'm aiming for close to 70 IBUs.

6 1/4 lbs pilsen LME
8 oz crystal 20
8 oz crystal 40
3/4 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
1/2 oz ea Centennial & Chinook @ 15 mins
1/4 oz Centennial + 1/2 oz Chinook @ 5 mins
1/4 oz ea Centennial & Chinook dry hopped
American Ale II

1.057/1.015
8* SRM
65.2 IBUs
5.6% ABV
3.3 gal avg boil
4 gal yield

Changes? Opinions?
I have read of the distaste of Chinook by many here. The LHBS doesn't carry anything else with a piney description.
Also available is Brewer's Gold, Galena, Magnum, and Warrior with a high AA.

I like it! Torpedo has a distinct taste of "citra" hops in the finish, though. If you really want that fruity flavor also, you'll need some citra. I like the recipe as is, except I'd increase the centennial late in the boil. Instead of 1/4 oz, go with at least 1/2 oz.

I like it! Torpedo has a distinct taste of "citra" hops in the finish, though. If you really want that fruity flavor also, you'll need some citra. I like the recipe as is, except I'd increase the centennial late in the boil. Instead of 1/4 oz, go with at least 1/2 oz.

Yooper, I had a torpedo lastnight and didn't find much citrus in the taste. It definitely had a layer in the aroma, though. I checked the website and they said they only used citra in dry hopping. That would explain the aroma presence but lack of taste presence that I experienced, correct? Or is this noob way off base???

Dont fear Chinook. It bitters nicely. Makes a great late addition too.

Edit: Personally, Id use more on the 60 minute addition. Thats just me....

Yooper, I had a torpedo lastnight and didn't find much citrus in the taste. It definitely had a layer in the aroma, though. I checked the website and they said they only used citra in dry hopping. That would explain the aroma presence but lack of taste presence that I experienced, correct? Or is this noob way off base???

Yes, I think so. Citra doesn't taste citrusy to me- it really screams MANGO to me. It's a tropical fruit flavor, more than citrus, and I pick that up in Torpedo. I'm not a huge fan of citra, though, so I don't use it much. It's fine in the aroma in Torpedo, though. I did make an all-citra (except for bittering) APA and I did not like it. It tasted like Juicy Fruit gum to me. I ended up dryhopping with some cascade, which helped. Others really liked it. But I won't be doing it again, that's for sure!

Yooper: Trying to keep from having leftover hops. I could separate the Centennial into thirds or .3 (15 min) .4 (5 min) .3 (dry hop). What would you suggest?

Wobbegong: Where would you rob some Chinook from to add to the 60 min portion? I'm trying to keep from having leftover hops and the overall cost down (doing a 4 gal wheat ale too).

Should I break down and add an oz of Cascade as well? Split it in thirds for the 15/5/dry hop? What's another $2...

Once again, this is to my taste from my experience with the two...

I think instead of using equal parts centennial and chinook in the late additions, I'd tune back the chinook and move some to the 60 min for more bittering.

I've made a few versions of chinook and centennial IPA's and found I got more balance between the two with a 2 part centennial 1 part chinook combo. I found the chinook overpowered the centennial when equal volumes were used in late additions and dry hop.

Will the piney taste come through in the 60 min portion? Or do I need some in the 15 and 5 min to get it through? I understood that the 60 min portion just gives bitterness. Is that not entirely correct?

Ah, but I don't understand the way hops work in the boil very well yet. I would gladly take what I could from someone who has been there and done that.

Hop schedule:
.5 oz Centennial/.5 oz Chinook @ 60 mins
.5 oz Centennial/.2 oz Chinook @ 15 mins
.5 oz Centennial/.2 oz Chinook @ 5 mins
.5 oz Centennial/.1 oz Chinook 7 day dry hop
Centennial is 9.9% and Chinook is 12.2%
65 IBUs

Will this give enough piney taste without drowning out the Centennial?
Doesn't the 60 min boil take a lot of the hop flavor out?

I think your revised hop bill - and hell, even your original recipe! - looks very nice. I actually just created a recipe VERY similar to yours except I mixed together 1oz chinook, 2oz cascade and 3oz centennial. Your amounts are the same as mine, except I added a 20 min addition as well (The remainder of my hops will be used for dry hopping.)

I think you'll enjoy this one. If you brew before I do, POST RESULTS!

Wow! I had to go back to the beginning of my book for this one!

Unfortunately the ink I used was tainted by water and parts are now illegible.

I recall that this is the IPA that made me decide to change my fermentation, conditioning, and chill time to 4/4/1 as when I tried one a couple of days early it tasted very much like Ranger. I told a friend who took a week to stop by and by then it had morphed into something else. It was good, but made a liar out of me!

I also have since changed my 15 min hop addition to 20 mins as well as I've seen that it's the highest on the curve for flavor. That is unless I'm wrestling with high IBU's in other styles.

Back