2012 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't set yet. Waiting to hear back from Othon on setting a draft date soon. The keeper date will be right before the draft date.

If any other spots open up, this year or in the future, let me know. I'd love another keeper league.

In the interest of giving everyone enough time to plan, I'm setting the draft for SUnday, March 18th at 8:15pm EST.

Keepers need to be entered one hour prior to draft.

Draft order is set based upon point totals in the regualr season last year. Pretty sure this is new, but we have the ability to trade draft picks. That should make things interesting.

I saw that someone signed Yu Darvish. Nice pick up. Did not realize that he was added to the player pool yet.

Agreed. But there isn't a function in the system that limits preseason waiver claims. So technically fair game.

I've pencilled in my keepers- can't remember off the top of my head, but I need to get my head around how this system works...

jump_xiii said:
I've pencilled in my keepers- can't remember off the top of my head, but I need to get my head around how this system works...

Ask any questions you have. We're all friendly here.

If we can trade draft picks, I have some guys on my roster that should be considered keepers, but I do not have room for them, such as:

Mike Napoli
Mariano Rivera
Jonathan Papelbon
Tim Hudson.

If anyone wants to trade, I am up for offers.

Hi guys,
I am on here all the time, got the ESPN notification, but missed the new thread- sorry for the delay!
the draft date/time is fine.

cheers,
Wendy
531 Brew Haus

So a bit of confusion...I received a trade offer for Hanley Ramirez. I want to counter offer, but I am unable to because he is on the DL. I cannot activate him from the DL even by dropping a player to open up a slot (assuming too many players on the roster).

How can I get him off of the DL to counter the trade?

TIA,
Dave

bosdave said:
Aaaaaaaaand less than 30 seconds later I figure it out.

Good, because I had no idea how to explain that without hand gestures and words like doohickey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k12pointsstrategypitchers

I was looking through the scoring a little bit ago and felt that 10 pts is a lot for Wins. This article really sums up why I feel that way.

Fantasy Baseball more than any other sport is about individual statistics. Why, then, are we putting so much emphasis on a team statistic that has been all but rendered null by baseball fans/media (see Felix Hernandez, Cy Young 2010: Record of 13-12), Front Offices, etc?

Some key points for those that don't want to read it all:
A pitcher who wins his game while allowing two runs in seven innings is going to give you in the neighborhood of 30 points, with a potential second start later in the week that could easily double that number. Last season, from April 11 through April 17, Troy Tulowitzki had four home runs, eight RBIs and a .606 OBP. By way of comparison, that stellar week, one that most hitters will never approach, was worth "only" 49 points.

The new "five-point win" changes the game a bit, but in terms of comparing pitchers to each other, it doesn't make that big of an impact. You still want pitchers who have the best chance at winning when they take the mound.

Our league agreed before last year's season to increase point potentials for pitchers. I wasn't really involved at that time and don't have an opinion now.
Any changes should be made before keepers are set tho!

I'm not opposed to making scoring changes if it means fair games and if everyone is onboard. I'm no statistician, so I'm not the one to propose these changes.

First televised Spring Training game on tonight for the Mets. So excited.

I've got no previous exp to base an opinion on, so as one of the new guys I'll happily defer to popular opinion...

Sorry, but we're full. If someone decides to drop out, we'll go through this thread and offer the team up to people who've posted.

Hey Everyone,

Just a reminder that we'll be having our draft this Sunday evening at 8:15pm EST

If you're unable to attend the live draft, your team will be drafted automatically by the computer based upon player rankings. If you plan on missing the draft, I recommend that you go in and take a look at the draft rankings. In my fantasy football league this year, I couldn't make the draft and the computer drafted Peyton Manning as a first round pick. Needless to say, my team struggled.

Also, take a look at the league's draft settings to see if there is anything you think needs to be updated before we draft.

Apologies for the noob question, this is my first time in a fantasy league.

So I pick my 7 keepers, and then after that all the other plays go into the draft? Is that right?

And if I am not going to be able to stay up for the draft I set my draft settings and the league will do it automatically?

Apologies for the noob question, this is my first time in a fantasy league.

So I pick my 7 keepers, and then after that all the other plays go into the draft? Is that right?

And if I am not going to be able to stay up for the draft I set my draft settings and the league will do it automatically?

Yes and yes.

The draft can usually take about 2 hours. If you can, I recommend that you at least stay up for the first hour just so you can draft players of your actual choosing.

pointerDixie214 said:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do this! :ban:

Everyone, welcome Ryan to the league. His team is the Longo Penas. He's taking over Wendy's team. Wendy bowed out as she doesn't have the time for the league this year.

Wendy, we wish you all the best!

Hey guys,

I don't think I'll be able to stay up for the draft tonight- got an early start in the morning.

I've set my keepers and updated my settings as far as I can see.

Best of luck everyone

Back