Kaboom!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoisePorter

Reaction score
Love those bottle bombs. Brewed up a nice Porter (think Black Butte Porter in flavor) last 4th of July. Had it in primary for 4 or 5 weeks (don't have my notes on me). Been in bottles since. Tasting great. Than sometime with in the last month (haven't had one for a while, been drinking my Dunkelweizen instead) one or two of them must have blown. Went to get a few out of the box the other day to put in the fridge and just about got cut. Inspected the box some more and found two bottles were broken. One of them had the side completely blown out. I'm not positive if that caused the second one to break or if it was a bomb also. Either way, had dried beer on the floor and tiny shards all over the box. Moved the remaining ones from that box to the fridge and am properly disposing of them LOL. They seem overly carb'ed now (after being what seemed perfect for months). From now on, I'm not just going to let the siphoning whirlpool action mix my priming sugar. I'm going to very gently stir with a sanitized spoon.

Good learning experience and good thing they're in my basement and in boxes.

Whirlpooling is actually enough to get the priming solution mixed up.

The issue here is that they have been sitting for over 6 months and they have probably been subjected to big swings in temperature. Not only that but it could just be the long-delayed result of an infection. A very very minor infection that would go unnoticeable could easily take that long to show effects (i.e. overcarbonation/bombs)

I have yet to get a bomb and that's even with some barleywines that I've let sit for over two years, some of which will probably sit a lot longer.

Back