Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you buy something this size online they ship it to the store for you to pickup.

I believe if you buy it online they will deliver it to your door (even bring it in for you). I wanted to get it in Delaware (home of tax free shopping) thats why I questioned if it was in store. Called and they told me they would have to order it. Still think im goin to pull the trigger on this one for a lagering fridge.

I finally got one, the 7 cu ft GE from wally world ,they
had them for $158.99 for black Friday. It was the only
reason to go out yesterday.:ban:

Ordered the GE 7.0 from HomeDepot when they dropped the price down to match Wal-Mart. Can't wait, should be here next week! Hopefully it isn't tooo tight of a fit to get 4 in.

Now just to start on my keezer build, going to do a full cabinet with coffin on top. Anyone know of a good thread that has a complete materials list? And what's the best place online to get all the supplies.

So sad I missed the Maytag 14.8 for $299 at home depot, it is still $359, not bad.
I have been through 2 donated ones so far, not going the used, donated, c-list route. I want something new.
Are there any good deals now?

Where do you guys ferment if you only have kegs in the keezer? My 25y.o. GE went out and I can't find another 7 cu.ft. that can fit 2 corny keys and a 6 1/2gal carboy.

Where do you guys ferment if you only have kegs in the keezer? My 25y.o. GE went out and I can't find another 7 cu.ft. that can fit 2 corny keys and a 6 1/2gal carboy.

I've got a separate fermentation chamber since my keezer is kept at 36F. WAY too cold for a regular fermentation, and I didn't want to use a fermwrap at the time.

I don't know if you can find it anymore, but the Magic Chef 7.2 CuFt could fit a 6.5gal carboy and two ball lock kegs on the hump if you added a collar. Mine has a 2x8 collar and could theoretically hold 6 ball locks. I've got four pin locks and 1 ball lock pretty comfortably in mine.

I use mine for lagering in keg...im suprised you had one that could fit all those in it.

Ordered the GE 7.0 from HomeDepot when they dropped the price down to match Wal-Mart. Can't wait, should be here next week! Hopefully it isn't tooo tight of a fit to get 4 in. .

One question. Do the corny kegs fit without a collar?

On the first page of this thread, it shows the height of the keg as 23", but the specs on the freezer show a depth of 22". Most of the freezers seem to show a 22" depth. Am I missing something?

das_mikey said:
One question. Do the corny kegs fit without a collar?

On the first page of this thread, it shows the height of the keg as 23", but the specs on the freezer show a depth of 22". Most of the freezers seem to show a 22" depth. Am I missing something?

22" depth is front to back (external). You can fit (very tight squeeze) 4 ball lock kegs with qd's attached. They are close to the lid but ok. You will need to do a collar if you want to put a fifth keg on the compressor hump.

I know the holiday chest freezer is already posted but I figured pictures with kegs would say more.

Holiday 5.0cf Chest Freezer from Lowes $188.00 as of the time of this writing

3 Kegs fit no problems with the 5Lbs CO2 tank, if tall enough collar was built it could fit 4 with the CO2 tank outside the freezer. Still have room to put bottles on the hump and around the kegs.

Do you think you could specify model number? I just bought a 5.0 Holiday Freezer from Lowe's and its not this same configuration. It looks like:

freezerx.jpg

I'd definitely like to get my hands on one that can fit three kegs with no collar.

I've got a 5.3 cu. ft. from Menard's and can fit four ball-locks with the co2 on the outside. I built a 2x12 collar (because I had the wood already), but I think a 1x10 would be sufficient. The brand is "Professional Series" and it was $159.

Right now I've only got three kegs in it with the 5 lb co2 tank but have a fourth faucet/shank ready-to-install as soon as I get four kegs filled ...

It's a cozy fit and you need to arrange the kegs correctly to allow room for the shanks through the collar.

Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer will fit 7 ball lock cornies with a collar (4 on bottom & 3 on hump). Scored one on black friday for $259 delivered. Finally got it all set up last week w/ Ranco controller & 7 taps. Works very well.

i was looking at this freezer as its the biggest I can find in black...do you have a pic of it with kegs and co2?

I am looking for a freezer that can hold 3 kegs, a CO2 bottle, and a fermenter for lagering. Any suggestions for a size?

Frigidaire - 8 Ball Locks on the floor, 2 on the hump
Model#: LFFN15M5HWB
Manufactured Date: 8-2011
Internal Dimensions: 42 1/2 W x 22 D x 29 H
Hump: 9 1/4 W x 22 D x 10 1/2 H
Hump to Lid: 19"

I'm using this freezer for my Keezer build.

FRIGIDAIRE 15 cu. ft. @ local Ding and Dent $315 + tax.
Frigidaire15cf.jpg

I picked up my Frididaire 7.2 cu ft freezer on sale with free shipping from Bestbuy.com a few weeks ago. Model # FFFC07M2KW

It holds 3 pin locks perfectly and looks like if I want, I could add a 3 gallon on the shelf or build a collar. Currently I only have picnic taps, but will be adding a collar of some sorts and tap handles in the future. I'll also be splitting those regulators so I can have all four kegs going at once.

chestfreezer.jpg

I am looking for a freezer for a keezer, and I am wanting to start without a collar and with just picnic taps while I plan the rest of the project. Anyone know if most 7.2 or 8.8 freezers will hold a ball lock WITHOUT a collar height wise?

Thanks

The GE 7.0 cu ft will hold 4 (VERY tight) or 3 (easy) ball-lock with QD's with the lid closed. If you go the 4 route, you need to make sure that you co2 canister isn't too tall as it needs to be on the hump. (I have a squat 5# one that just barely works, a 4# skinny one that doesn't). If you just have 3 kegs in it, you will likely be able to fit the co2 canister on the floor, so plenty of vertical space. Then you can use the hump to hold some six packs or whatever.

Whats the estimated price range of the total cost of making one of these big enough for 3 or 4 kegs???.....preferably no collar if theres a brand of freezer thatd work.

tried searching the thread to no luck... best i can tell a 24.9cui freezer should be able to hold up to 14 kegs.

can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know if the Frigidaire 7.2 will hold a 1/2 barrel?

Looks like it would be close, what is the distance front to back on the 7.2?

I'm looking at the Kenmore 7.2 at Sears, on sale now for $171.49. There a pic earlier in this thread with 3 kegs on the floor. I'm wondering how close it is to fitting 4, hard to tell from the pic. I want 3 kegs on the floor and hoping my 20# co2 tank will squeeze in too (a hair narrower than a ball lock). If not, anyone that could give me the measurement from hump to lid please? I really don't want a tall collar on this one, been there done that. Thanks.

I got a 5cu. Ft. Holiday/haier freezer this weekend off Craigslist. Who has this freezer and has converted it. Just looking for any issues you ran into or what the finished project looked like.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Frigidaire 7.2 will hold a 1/2 barrel?

Looks like it would be close, what is the distance front to back on the 7.2?

I just measured my Frididaire 7.2 cu ft freezer Model # FFFC07M2KW that I recently picked up. It is 16 1/2" front to back.

Looking at getting the Frigidaire 9 cu ft (or 8.8 if you go to the website). went to lowes today with some cutouts and I got it to fit 5 on the floor with two on the collar. Anyone out there have this freezer that can confirm or deny this??

First, thank you all for this great thread. This is amazing.

I'm not handy at all - so I need capacity without a collar. All I need is cold storage. I already have an 8 tap kegerator w/ front doors that holds 11 mixed sixtels snugly (sometimes a 12th with creativity).

But I'm now brewing 15 gallons at a time and need to store 3 corny kegs with each batch. Hoping to have 24 kegs is ambitious, but I wouldn't mind about 20 capacity.

Looking through the thread I see the Frigidaire 14.8cu freezer LFFN15M5HW (Lowes: $395), the Maytag 14.8cu freezer MQC1552TEW (Home Dept: $449 - price $150 more than a few months ago!), and the Whirlpool 14.8cu freezer EH150FXR (Sears: $405).

It appears that the Frigidaire has a 9.25" wide and 10.5" high hump and only stores 8 ball lock cornies without needing a collar.

Has anyone used the Maytag 14.8 or the Whirlpool 14.8? What is the corny capacity without a collar?

It appears the Frigidaire can be modified for temperature without a controller. What about the Maytag or Whirlpool?

Thanks so much. I have 3 kegs of Stout conditioning and 15 gallons of Brown Ales fermenting. 10 gallons of Bitter, 5 of Maibock, 5 of Porter... well, you get the idea - I'm in desperate need of cold room!!!

I just bought a Haier 7.1 Model HCM071AW from hhgregg. It fits 4 ball locks on the floor without a collar with plenty of wiggle room. A collar would allow for 1 more on the hump.

I didn't notice in the thread, but does someone know the interior dimensions of the Igloo 5.2 Chest Freezer? I need to fit 2 commercial sixers and a 5# tank. Will it fit?

3M Heavy duty double sided tape. Unfortunately it failed after two weeks. I am using "industrial strength" double sided velcro now and it works fine, but it does not hang perfectly level since the velcro is a little thick and gives a little bit.

I might try double sided tape again and give it some time with clamps holding the tray in place so it can "cure." the package said it could take 24 hours. I have it about 20 seconds.

3M Heavy duty double sided tape. Unfortunately it failed after two weeks. I am using "industrial strength" double sided velcro now and it works fine, but it does not hang perfectly level since the velcro is a little thick and gives a little bit.

I might try double sided tape again and give it some time with clamps holding the tray in place so it can "cure." the package said it could take 24 hours. I have it about 20 seconds.

Hard drive magnets is what you want to use. that thing wont go anywhere.

Back