questions about stepping into AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHammer

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been brewing on and off for quite a few years and am currently doing partial mash, but my quality is not always consistent. My plan is to start doing 2.5 gal batches so that I can brew more often to 1) have more variety and 2) work on my consistency.
In addition I want to make the step to all grain and that is where I have questions.
1) since I plan to do 2.5 gal batches for the foreseeable future I have 2 options for mash tun either using a 4 gal pot and making a direct fired tun or converting a heavy duty caterers 10 gal beverage cooler.
I already own both of these items so that is not an issue, I am just torn because with the pot I have the option of step mashing but with the cooler I can make 5 gal batches if I choose to.

2) When I convert either option to a mash tun what is the best pickup device? I am considering stainless braid vs fashioning a copper manifold. I don't care much about squeezing every last gravity point out of my grains, I am quite happy to spend an extra buck or 2 but I also want the best wort possible.

Sorry this is kind of a long post but I am trying to give all the info I have
thanks for the advice:D

I would use the cooler. I think you should maximize your output per brew session, and a 4 gallon pot will limit you , whereas a 10 gal cooler will not. As far as a pickup device, I personally use a slotted copper manifold in my cooler, but many people have great success with a ss braid. And as for step mashing,a) its possible in a cooler. B) you can mash in your boilpot first step(s), then transfer to the cooler, and(c) step mashings overrated IMO . You owe me two cents.

Have you considered brew in a bag (BIAB)? I use it for all grain batches in my apartment and have been very happy with my results. And it just happens to be on HBT where I first learned how to do it...

Easy stove top all grain

Just one option...

I've come to believe that how you get your wort, while important, is way less important than other factors (especially fermentation and sanitation).

erikhild59
I understand the reasons against doing half batches, especially with a 10 month old at home, but my stock just isn't turning over fast enough, and after a while I get tired of drinking the same 4 beers. that is why I want to cut down and brew more

Just a thought, but smaller batches are more susceptible to variations in outcome from smaller disturbances in the process. So you may have to get a lot better at maintaining consistency in your process, just to get the same level of consistency in product that you have today. But maybe that was your plan.

HHammer said:
erikhild59
I understand the reasons against doing half batches, especially with a 10 month old at home, but my stock just isn't turning over fast enough, and after a while I get tired of drinking the same 4 beers. that is why I want to cut down and brew more

Sorry , I missed the part where you said you wanted smaller batches:tired: good luck.

Back