convert box freezer for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
So, I have a large box freezer that isn't used much.
Could this be converted to a lagering chiller via the
Johnson temp controller that goes for $50 or $60 at Morebeer?
I'm sure I could fit a half dozen soda kegs in there.

What is the technology behind the temp controls? I dont understand how that works. Does it just regulate power getting to the freezer?

banjopicker16 said:
What is the technology behind the temp controls? I dont understand how that works. Does it just regulate power getting to the freezer?

That is how it works. There is a thermometer probe attached to the unit , you put that into the fridge/freezer and it tells the unit to turn on power to the fridge/freezer. It works good.

I have both a refrigerator and a freezer controlled this way. The controller is simply an on/off switch that the fridge or freezer is plugged into. You turn the freezer to its coldest setting, put the temperature sensing probe inside, and plug the freezer into the controller and you are all set. Just adjust the temperature on the controller to whatever you want.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Half a dozen cornies? I'm quite sure it wouldn't work. In fact, the freezer is prolly junk. I'll be willing to drive out and take that freezer off your hands so it isn't just taking up valuable space anymore. ;)

J/K, man, that's the best lagering chamber there is. go for it!:D

Latest posts

Back