another collar freezer/keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefallnick

Reaction score
Thanks to all the information on this forum and Catt22 my dad and I were able to convert a chest freezer to a kegerator/keezer.

I got the chest freezer on craigslist for 60$ and then purchased a 20# c02 tank (the guy at the store told me it costs exactly the same to fill up a 5# tank, they aren't open that late and I live a bit far from them so this did seem like a good idea), regulator, shank, faucet and lines for a simple 1 tap system to start with.

Following the advice of Cat22 we used 2x6 lumber pine and then my dad used a miter saw to cut the edges at 45 degrees and then we glued and connected the wood together, and painted it with a few coats of white paint.

We removed the top and the hinges for the top and then ran rope caulking from home depot all the way around edge of the top of the freezer opening and then set the collar on top of that and put the lid on and then both of us climbed on top of the lid to smash it down on the rope caulking.

We then took the lid back off, flipped it over and drilled 4 holes to mount a 4" AC fan from radioshack. We used toggle and spacers to hold it in place with the advice from Catt22 and then wired it up to a computer power cable. blows air all around inside and keeps things cold.

We then drilled 3 holes in the collar, one in the front for the shank, one in side for the c02 line and then one in the back for the fan power cable.
Then we placed the lid back on the collar to see where new holes would need to be drilled for the screws to hold top hinges and got those carefully drilled and then got all the screws back in place.

I used more rope caulk around the c02 and fan power cable and then ran a double line bead of rope caulk around the bottom of the collar just for safety to make sure it was good and sealed.

Brought the keg home from the brewery and twisted on the sankey tap and tapped the keg and that was it, surprised how easy it was.

The only thing I couldnt buy locally was a good temperature controller so I will have to get one of those ordered real soon, I can sort of keep an eye on the temperature by dangling a wired thermometer in there and just use a timer from home depot, 30 on and 1 hour off, it holds the temp nicely though while running the fan.

The tap handle is an old miller lite handle, thought it looked cool. I also have an old coors lite handle for the 2nd tap, we had a whole bunch of tap handles on the mantle of our old apartment and I guess we decided to keep a couple when we threw away in one of our many moves, looks like it was a smart move!

The only down side is that most of hte people that showed up for our house warming/come see where we live party had to drive somewhere so we probably served 15 beers, maybe less..

Here are some pics:

3n53kf3l55V35O35T0a6n123509652feb1514.jpg

14t3dsk.jpg

r721xf.jpg

nzi1zp.jpg

my best passenger :rockin:
2jaazid.jpg

Two things:

A. That was one long rambling of a write-up... you lost me at "convert a chest freezer..." Ever heard of a paragraph? :confused:

and, B. Why do you need to drink the keg in a month anyway? They last much longer.... and if that was your fear, why such a large keezer?

Cleaned it up a bit. My brewery put my down for a 1 month rental, they'd probably let me keep it longer, i dont see why not. If they want their keg back, I would have to figure out a way to transfer it to keg(s) I purchase..
The reason I got such a larger keezer is because I'd like to brew my own and have multiple corny kegs in there and just switch them out...

Looks like a good build and a nice beginning for what sounds like it will be a multi tap monster in no time.

Two questions:
1) What's the in keg?
2) Is that a Saab?

Thanks for the comments! I cant wait to add more taps, I'll need to ebay some more vintage handles or maybe make some. My dad used to be a sheet metal worker so we'll have to make a drip tray once he gets some time. He made some really sweet bait boxes that attach to the side rails of his fishing boat so hes good at bending and cutting metal.

The keg is filled with Boundary Bay Blonde, I figured it would be a nice lighter beer that others might enjoy as well.
I have a 95 BMW 540i, the leather was quite cracked when I got it, I need to work on trying to recondition it. We just got our house and everything so one thing at a time...

Back