Commercial Single Hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbie

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm drinking my first few homebrews and I'm starting to think about how to tweak my recipes, and I think the hardest thing for me at this point is to figure out what each hop variety brings to a beer. I know about Bell's Two Hearted and Founder's Centennial, but are there any other single hopped commercial beers? I plan on doing my own at some point, but I'd like to wait until I go AG and just do SMaSH beers. I'd be most interested in anything all-cascade. Also, if it is available in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, or Illinois I can get it in the next couple of weeks, so that would be preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Shakespeare Stout is all cascade.
Yellow Snow IPA is all Amarillo.

Mikeller has done several single hop beers with the same wort.

Happy hops from Russian River, they use a different hop all the time.

Happy Hops
Hopped-Up Pale Ale, 5.56% ABV
Not really a Blonde Ale, not a Pale Ale, not an IPA. Happy Hops is a light colored refreshing ale with a pronouced hop character.

You may also see a special version of this beer once a year called Happy Hops Harvest, which is brewed with fresh "wet" hops grown locally.
Available year round

Isn't Bell's Two Hearted all Centennial?

Yes. That was one of the two that I knew. I forgot to mention what hops it was. Thanks all for the other responses so far. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get Deschutes or Russian River. I'll keep my eyes open for the Rogue options though.

Rogue Brutal Bitter is all Crystal hops.

Hah, I can't believe I missed that when I was listing Rogue beers.

They use a lot, and I mean a lot of crystal hops in that. They call it brutal because it was brutal to brew it. I doubt there is any beer with nearly that amount of crystal hopping.

Shipyard has changed. I have a good friend from Maine that told me they changed owners awhile back and have never been the same.

Me personally, I don't care much for Shipyard so maybe your bottle wasn't bad. :)

Oskar Blues recently released a single hop IIPA called GUBNA

It will replace Ten Fiddy for spring and summer.

It is made with nothing but Summit hops

116174.jpg

Shakespeare Stout is all cascade.
Yellow Snow IPA is all Amarillo.

Yellow Snow is Amarillo+Willamette. I just bought some, and it lists both hops on the label.

There's an article about it over on www.kswbeer.com

Mekkeller has a series of beers that contain the same grains but showcase single hops(ie: cascade, magnum, amarillo, warrior, tomahawk, centennial)

+1

Mikeller is my go-to when I think of single-hop ales. They're excellent beers on top of the educational experience too!

Oskar Blues recently released a single hop IIPA called GUBNA

It will replace Ten Fiddy for spring and summer.

It is made with nothing but Summit hops

116174.jpg
this stuff is FIRE. kinda bummed to hear its gonna replace ten fidy though...they are both unreal.

One thing I love about the Fresh Hop beers of Autumn, most of them are single-hop beers and since they are brewed within hours of the hops being picked, they really shine.

Back