Suggest me a good choc stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
so ive brewed up mostly ipas, and want to try something different. i don't know much about stouts....guiness is about as far as my knowledge goes. as i was sitting at breakfast having a guiness yesterday, i want to make a stout.

that being said, can someone give me a choc stout recipe, AG 5 gallon batch. this will be my first all grain, brew in a bag. i did my first PM the other day and it was a success! i have a brew bag capable of 15 lbs of grain and an 8.5 gal pot, but id like not to use the whole 15 lbs.

thanks

Check this out

That looks like an excellent recipe in my opinion. It will be a very pronounced chocolate flavor. I didn't read through the whole thing, just looked at the recipe. Obviously, leave out the raspberry, especially since it's raspberry flavoring and not the real deal.

Also, I didn't notice you can only do 15 lbs. of grain. You could probably get by with dropping the 6-row and reducing the chocolate malt a bit. I might reduce the roasted barley to less than 0.3 lb. also.

i think i may do the SN stout. this way i can go buy a bottle, see if i like it (i probably will) then make it.

http://***********/stories/recipes/...ipes/114-stout/1907-sierra-nevada-stout-clone

i did i rouge chocolate stout clone .... grain bill was light, added dark chocolate syrup to boil and secondary...

I brewed one in the sweet stout style and added 1 lb of lactose. The lactose really did wonders in balancing out the bitterness that the cocoa contributed - kind of like cream in a mocha. I also added .5 lb of roasted barley and .5 lb of black patent to fill out the flavors per Jamil's sweet stout recs.

I highly suggest going to your nearest Whole Foods or gourmet store and splurging on some good stuff. My cocoa powder was amazing.

Back