Excellent Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to try new(to me) brews, here's what I've found...

Bear Repulic Racer 5 IPA... Excellent IPA, not over done, very tasty

Rubicon Brewing IPA... Same as above, maybe better, a pleasant surprise

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine...Very smooth, just a touch of alchohol taste

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine...Excellent,well balanced, maybe a little on the sweet side

Russian River Pliney the Elder IIPA... To date this is the best beer I have ever had, one sip and I was hooked. The aroma alone was intoxicating. I can't say enough good things about it.

Give these a try if their available to you.

I'm obviously on an IPA..Barleywine kick:mug: I know there's a lot more out there, but I thought I'd share. These beers are also an inspiration to take my brewing to a new level.

If you can, find yourself a bottle of the Ballast Point Dorado IIPA. there should still be some fresh enough to be great somewhere in CA. And Sculpin is coming out again soon.

Really? I thought Bigfoot was really hoppy. Not bad, necessarily, though I do much prefer an English Barleywine. I haven't had Stone's, but I assume it's also pretty hoppy.

Really? I thought Bigfoot was really hoppy. Not bad, necessarily, though I do much prefer an English Barleywine. I haven't had Stone's, but I assume it's also pretty hoppy.

Yeah, I thought they were both really well balanced. Bigfoot seems to be a touch on the Hoppier side than Old Guardian, but neither one had that big hop presence that an IIPA would have.

What English Barleywine's should I look for? I'd love to do some comparison's.

:mug:

Find some Green Flash West Coast IPA (judging by you getting Pliny, you must be on the left coast). I love Bear Republic. I wish I could get my hands on Pliny. If you are really a hop head try out Dogfish Head and Stone Ruination.

Find some Green Flash West Coast IPA (judging by you getting Pliny, you must be on the left coast). I love Bear Republic. I wish I could get my hands on Pliny. If you are really a hop head try out Dogfish Head and Stone Ruination.

I've been asking around about DFH, and I hear the only place to get it is down in Sacramento, I'll have to go to their website and see what their distribution is. Ruination is awesome, I have yet to drink a Stone Brew that I haven't liked.

The best DFH I had was their 75 minute IPA simulcask event. MMMM They took 90 minute and 60 minute, mixed them together with new yeast, and maple syrup in a cask. The casks were opened all over the East Coast at the same time. Their barleywine is fabulous too. The 120 minute is a six pack in a bottle, which is good since it will run you $10+ a 12 ouncer.

Bigfoot Barleywine rocks my world every year since 2007. Still have 4 2008 bottles left and I just picked up another 6 pack of 09 today.

Bigfoot Barleywine rocks my world every year since 2007. Still have 4 2008 bottles left and I just picked up another 6 pack of 09 today.

How close is your town to Seattle? Bottleworks in Seattle has vintages. I got an 03 and an 04 there last year. They're properly cellared there. Soooo good.

Green Flash is fantastic stuff! Bigfoot does vary from year to year. I love just about all of them through '07, am okay on '08, and can't say that I am all too happy with '09. It's a good beer, mind you, but it seems something like a shadow of the past.

TL

How close is your town to Seattle? Bottleworks in Seattle has vintages. I got an 03 and an 04 there last year. They're properly cellared there. Soooo good.

I know all about Bottleworks and a couple other places. The only thing that keeps me from going there very often is that I would spend large amounts of money on beer and SWMBO would kill me.

The best DFH I had was their 75 minute IPA simulcask event. MMMM They took 90 minute and 60 minute, mixed them together with new yeast, and maple syrup in a cask.

The 75 minute minus the maple syrup is a regular offering at the DFH pubs. As someone who's on the fence about the 60 and the 90 and prefers both greatly over the 120, the 75 is right up my alley.

Personally, I'd take a regular Stone IPA (or a Ruination or Arrogant Bastard) over any of the above, but that's being a bit picky--the 75 is a very nice drop for an American-style IPA.

Lagunitas Farmhouse Hop Stoopid. Deschuettes Hop Henge. Both can be found in Sacramento, but I think they are bothe seasonals. Also Bear Valley Black Flag is awesome, it is a highly hopped Imperial Stout. You can get Black Flag at Bevmo.

Back