Apfelwein Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrogBoxer

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein in it's 4th week. Been checking the gravity and it's been the same for a few days. However, it is still pretty dark and not quite clear. There are also small patches of bubbles on the top but isn't bubbling at all through the airlock. Do I have an issue or do I need to just keep waiting? Thanks in advance!

I am having a similar problem. I used 5 gallons apple juice, 2 lb brown sugar, 1 pack of red star Montrachet. It has been in the primary since Dec 28th 2008 till now (roughly 8 weeks) It is not clear and there are still very small bubbles finding there way up to the top. I have not taken a sg reading because i figured i would just wait till the bubbles stopped and the apfelwein cleared.

The last batch i made cleared in 5 weeks. Should i take a sg reading and if its 1.000 or lower call it good and let it clear in the bottles?

That's up to you, but I always choose to let it clear and bulk age in the carboy. I never bottle before it is absolutely clear.

Have you had 5 gallon bathces take this long? It has been at 66 to 70 degrees durring this time.

There's a good chance it is done fermenting, as in it probably is. If you are having a hard time with clearing, you can look into cold crashing or even fining agents, but time will most likely clear it eventually.

Sorry, still pretty new. Cold crashing means bringing it to as close to freezing as possible, right? And for how long?

Is the reason for needing it to clear primarily aesthetic, or is there a significant taste reason for waiting for it to clear (other than just time.) Meaning, if it sits for 6 months but doesn't clear yet, is it necessary to wait longer for some reason?

It is mostly aesthetic, so if it doesn't clear and you don't mind, then no need to wait longer or look into other methods of clearing it.

Back