Wyeast 3711 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should be pretty tasty. 3711 will finish lower because that yeast chows through anything. 3711 can finish low but still have a good mouthfeel.

Great yeast, highly recommended--Beergolf is right that it'll finish lower than the recipe states.

3711 is a great yeast. You will most likely get some white wine flavor character. Will be more dry than with another belgian yeast. Try mashing higher.

Like they said, it'll finish lower. My last 2 beers with it went below 1.000 to .997. If you use that recipe, you'll likely have 1.5% more alcohol or so.

Despite this, it somehow maintains a lovely mouthfeel and never tastes like it's too dry. I love the character this yeast gives. Just used it for a Belgian IPA and it pairs very well with hops. Dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin and it goes quite nice with that hop.

Well worth giving this yeast a go, IMHO.

Another note:

It carbed up nicely. Bottled this after 6 weeks in primary. I usually bottle earlier, but had various things stop that from happening. And I usually use krauesen when bottling strong beers, but skipped that this time. The beer is 10% abv and it carbed up after a week, fully carbed.

To me, this yeast seems like a monster. But that's not why I love it. I love the character from this yeast.

I don't know if it's available where you are (it's not available here, but I bought it when in Brussels), but if you can find Saison Sauvin from 8 Wired Brewing in New Zealand, they use this yeast, also with Nelson Sauvin. Lovely, lovely beer.

I also made a sort of Imperial Saison with this during the summer that was awesome. Not hoppy like the IPA and still a lovely character.

Hope you like it. Either way, let us know how it works out for you.

3711...one of my top 3 favorite yeasts (the other two being WLP 001 and WLP 400). Entered two different Saisons done with this yeast in two different comps and place third in my flight in each comp. Great yeast!!

Back