Rusty bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capulinflicker

Reaction score
So I've been saving the left over bottle caps from the various batches I've done since there's always been a few extra left over. I've been storing them in a plastic ziplock bag and probably have enough saved to where I don't need to buy extra for this next batch. Thing is when I took them out the other day I found that some of them on the bottom had gotten pretty rusty (guess I didn't dry them off enough when putting them away). I've thrown out the really bad ones, but do I need to just go ahead and trash all of them and buy some new ones? Some aren't too bad and only have rust on the crimping part.

I would buy new. What's the cost anyway? I'm still on my first bulk purchase from four years ago, and no rust by the way. I use flip tops more than anything though. Besides it is worth a sound sleep next to a carbonating batch isn't it?

just buy new.

Any extra sanitized caps are the first ones I use next batch. No reason to use rusty caps.

Hi

Rust is not a real good thing. Holes / reduced strength / cracks. There are already enough ways to create a bottle bomb without adding more ways....

Bob

Trash them all. Brew day time + waiting time + ingredients cost is a lot...and not worth risking over some caps that cost $0.02 apiece.

Back