INDOOR Hydroponic or Aeroponic HOPS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanWadeOKC

Reaction score
I am very interested in growing indoor hydroponic or aeroponic hops. But I need to know the types of nutrients needed to run the system. I've gotten in a little trouble in the past growing things indoors I shouldn't have. I've studied hydroponic grow books top to bottom, not sure if the nutrients will very a little more from plant to plant. Really I just need a comparison, like what the the hops are similar to. From there I can figure the nutrient routine. Any thoughts?

Hop plants are tall and large. Unless you find one of the rare dwarf hops, you need at least 15' ceilings.

From what I have heard the best information for growing hops indoors is from people who grow the hop's cousin. They're very interested in maximizing yield and take very good notes. Some places in California even have classes on how to grow them. I would say take what you learn there and apply it to the better, and more legal, hop plant.

I too am interested in some indoor hop growing in the future. But that will be awhile away.

One of the reasons that hops dont do well below the 35th parallel is vernalization requirements. That and cooler "night time" temps. You would have to keep that in mind while doing them indoors. Also, besides the tall thing, hops usually take 3 years to fully produce. Id be curious if you could accelerate that process by artificially changing the length of the grow time like is done with the hop cousins...

Back