Keggle Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdezz

Reaction score
I just finished building a keggle and I am hoping to do an all grain brew in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend a good gas burner for 5 gallon brews outside. Thanks very much!
Is mise le meas.

Go to home despot, lowes, or a camping/sporting goods store and look at turkey fryers.

Get one that is over 100,000 BTUs. It won't be long before you are doing 10 gallon batches. I have the SQ-14 Bayou Burner from HD and it's not hot enough to do 10 gallon batches outside the garage in the winter or if it's breezy outside. It takes well over an hour to get 13 gallons of cold water boiling in a keggle. I'm looking at upgrading to the banjo burner. I'm also thinking of cutting the bottom of the keggle out and having copper welded in. My neighbor is a welder though and he would do it for beer. I'm thinking quarter or half inch plate copper for the bottom.

...I'm also thinking of cutting the bottom of the keggle out and having copper welded in. My neighbor is a welder though and he would do it for beer. I'm thinking quarter or half inch plate copper for the bottom.

You can weld copper to stainless? That's a new one on me.

I'd sell the 1/2 inch plate copper for scrap & use the money to buy a $40 burner that would do the job.

.....I'm also thinking of cutting the bottom of the keggle out and having copper welded in. My neighbor is a welder though and he would do it for beer. I'm thinking quarter or half inch plate copper for the bottom.

Ummmmm, I hate to burst your bubble here, but that ain't gonna happen. If you had a great mechanically sound joint, then you might be able to flow lead-free solder well enough to seal it..... But welding is out.
Just spring for a new burner.

The SQ-14 is a great burner, and it will work just fine for 5 gallons. I've been using it for 10 gallon batches with a keggle and it works great too. Takes about 30-35 minutes to heat up 15 gallons of water from 55-170F, but I don't mind the wait. I crush grains and sanitize things while I wait. Those go for about $50 on amazon, which is where I got mine.

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Home & Garden

If you really want to heat your water in record time, the Kick-a-Banjo burner is pretty killer but will run you around $100.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_415&products_id=10472

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Northern Brewer the other day and asked them about the Hurricane burner vs. the Bayou (low vs high pressure). Basically what I wanted to know was why I should go with one over the other. The guy said he had been wondering about that as well and I should call a company that specializes in burners. LOL - I guess NB is not the place I would choose to buy burners from.

I use the SQ-14 but changed the burner to a generic one it works great with 10 gallon brews

I use this one
burner_2.jpg

I called Northern Brewer the other day and asked them about the Hurricane burner vs. the Bayou (low vs high pressure). Basically what I wanted to know was why I should go with one over the other. The guy said he had been wondering about that as well and I should call a company that specializes in burners. LOL - I guess NB is not the place I would choose to buy burners from.

It's all about the BTU's.

The Bayou @ 30psi, can output 256k btu's, vs the hurricane's 60k btu.

A litter more than 4x the energy, but not necessarily any more efficient in terms of fuel.

Also, I think the hurricane is ridiculously easy to convert to NG with swapping the orifice, since the burner is already designed for low pressure.

Back