Thesis on Olive Oil Aeration method.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very interesting...

and now my brain feels like mashed potatoes.

:fro:

Nice article. I'm reading it right now.

It makes me wonder if we would have been bashing this method if the findings would have come from an AB lab and not from New Belgium. If its a mirco brewery it seems to be ok to say an "increase in esters was considered by the brewery to be a positive change because of the potential to mask staling flavor compounds"

Kai

Kaiser said:
Nice article. I'm reading it right now.

It makes me wonder if we would have been bashing this method if the findings would have come from an AB lab and not from New Belgium. If its a mirco brewery it seems to be ok to say an "increase in esters was considered by the brewery to be a positive change because of the potential to mask staling flavor compounds"

Kai

I personally find it to be inconclusive as the results show an increased fermentation time and an increase in ester production. Sure that may be fine for those beers but, what about Lagers?

Furthermore, it eludes to the fact that sterol production is inhibited, which may result in the higher ester formation, and that normally sterols are synthesized aerobically. Sure, New Belgiums lab division may be able to get some ergot fungus to introduce in minute amount to provide the sterols but what about us?

I think it is very interesting to read but don't see that I will be replacing my practice of oxygenation with EVOO infusions.

I may be a slow drinker but I have yet to be that slow that I need to worry about staling.

The article got me thinking about my process though. I use the O2 wand to oxygenate the wort and get the whirlpool started at the same time. After that the wort may sit for 30min up to a few hours until I transfer to primary and pitch the yeast.

Since I'm oxidating the wort during that time I might be better off aerating immediately before adding the yeast. Not sure if that matters, but I do have a sporadic taste issue with my beer that I have not found the root cause for.

Kai

Kaiser said:
The article got me thinking about my process though. I use the O2 wand to oxygenate the wort and get the whirlpool started at the same time. After that the wort may sit for 30min up to a few hours until I transfer to primary and pitch the yeast.

Since I'm oxygenating the wort during that time I might be better off aerating immediately before adding the yeast. Not sure if that matters, but I do have a sporadic taste issue with my beer that I have not found the root cause for.

Kai

Kaiser, I have been trying to bend my brain around your "should I complicate my process thread" and now I am wondering if you could simplify it.

My whirlpool is how I aerate. My RIS at 1.082 took 3 weeks to primary, but it tastes great. I have a big pilsner going that started at 1.092, it hydrod at 1.022 yesterday and is starting a diacetyl rest on the way to crash cool even though i don't taste any diacetyl.

My "question" is could your brews be overoxygenated or overpitched? I am just asking, you are a much more sophisticated brewer than me.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Why does your wort sit for a few hours before you pitch your yeast? I normally, aerate just before I pitch. Any reason for the wait?

I need at least 30 min for the whirlpool rest. And since I'm fitting brewing into a family life I may not be able to attend my wort until the kids are in bed or other chores are taken care of. So far I thought it was safe to let the wort sit for a while. I don't worry about infection since I cool the wort while the lid is on and my lagers are chilled below 50 *F anyway which makes it very unlikely for an infection to take hold.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I need at least 30 min for the whirlpool rest. And since I'm fitting brewing into a family life I may not be able to attend my wort until the kids are in bed or other chores are taken care of. So far I thought it was safe to let the wort sit for a while. I don't worry about infection since I cool the wort while the lid is on and my lagers are chilled below 50 *F anyway which makes it very unlikely for an infection to take hold.

Kai

Is that where you are getting your DMS?
I don't like that your wort is sitting covered like that. I think DMS can still "form" at that stage.

Re: the topic, without having read the thesis, what does this do for head retention?

Dude said:
I don't like that your wort is sitting covered like that. I think DMS can still "form" at that stage.

Re: the topic, without having read the thesis, what does this do for head retention?

No effect on head retention, IIRC, some of the test samples actually had better retention than the control but, it's been a while since I read it and there is a lot of info to discern.

Dude said:

No, I whirlpool cold. DMS only forms at higher temperatures. I would be concerned if I do a hot whirlpool.

Kai

Dude said:
Apparently there is no negative effect on head retention. The amount of oil is very small and it mostly gets assimilated by the yeast. The remainder probably either floats on the surface (and doesn't get racked) or sticks to the walls of the fermenter.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
only 35 pages for a masters thesis and basically one experiment...ugh, I think I made a mistake with the Ph.D.
Is it finished now? Or are you still in the tedious stages of final writing (hence your comment)? If it is done, congrats!

Back