British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up last night basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong I left a metal container full of utensils on the stoves burner element and I turned on the wrong burner so all of the plastic utensils in said metal container where melted and the fire department almost came to my house....and i left my fermenter bucket to close to the propane burner and melted it

Rough day

Brewed up last night basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong I left a metal container full of utensils on the stoves burner element and I turned on the wrong burner so all of the plastic utensils in said metal container where melted and the fire department almost came to my house....and i left my fermenter bucket to close to the propane burner and melted it

Rough day

Someone will be over soon to take away your matches .

I just made mine and dropped two old greasy soaked hot pads into the mash tun . At leas that will not be bad but a few batches ago on another brew I dropped one of them in my wort after boil and it infected my beer. 4 cases lately have been dumped down the drain due to infection . the last was cream of three crops that turned to vinegar .

It is okay if you burn your house down just make sure you save the beer! Use the wife and kids to cover up the bucket while you run through the flames .

Well I finally got to crack the first bottle and I must say I like it. Thanks for sharing an excellent recipe.

image-2161760849.jpg

Just stuck mine in the fridge . It has been at 68 degrees since brewing but now I am going to set it for another week at 60 and bottle .
This is a great beer indeed.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I'd like to add maple flavor, either with syrup or maple extract. I've seen some people put 8-12oz of Grade B syrup in at flame-out for their maple nut browns. Others suggest using it as priming sugar during bottling to retain more maple flavor. Some do both.

How much I should add here? Ideally, retaining the nutty balanced flavors and adding a complementary maple flavor.

Anyone else getting massive head with this beer? (Where else but a beer forum can I say that? :) )

I carbed to 2.5 volumes and waited about six weeks before drinking. So I poured one tonight and had a large frothy head that was even with the top of the glass. I walked away for two minutes and returned and the head had expanded upwards and looked like this.

image-1445530867.jpg

After two minutes

So I decided to put on a stopwatch and waited seven minutes and it still had most of its head before I started to drink it. Here it was after seven minutes.

image-1861831488.jpg

Another seven minutes later.

Note that I brewed this as per the original recipe. I did put about one half ounce of almond extract in half the bottles (including this one) but the half without is not much different.

Sounds like 2.5 might be a little high? I would typically carb this in the low 2's myself, but that is just my tastes. Did it seem overly carbonated? Maybe yours will just require an extra gentle pour :)

I agree that 2.5 is a bit high to be in style (personal preference) but it is not a crazy high number overall. I did my previous batch (a pumpkin ale) to the same level and did not get near that amount of head.
Also note that these are not bottle bombs that foam over on opening. It opens with a decent off fit and does not foam up at all. And I did do a fairly gentle pour.

Ok in just starting, I see the recepie but how many gallons of water do you need for this recepie ? Sorry and if someone can explain ill be very happy!!!!

peanuts004 said:
Ok in just starting, I see the recepie but how many gallons of water do you need for this recepie ? Sorry and if someone can explain ill be very happy!!!!

Are you extract or all-grain?

ok, so I converted this to extract and got my stuff. Doing some research, it turns out I really need to mash some grain with the oatmeal in order to convert. Problem is, I dont have any available.

So, what to do?

a) throw it in and pretend it will "steep"

b) leave it out and proceed minus oatmeal.

c) ???

Any help appreciated, I am brewing this 6/23 in the PM.

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

What you need is the following -
Use 14.69 quarts of water heated to 169.9 or about 170 degrees or so. Put that water in your mash tun . It will cool a bit . then pour in grain ( not all at once ) stir into water while pouring so you do not get any clumps or cold spots . The water will cool down to about the 154.0 degrees needed for mash . ( if not then you need to add in hot or cold water to get the temp. ) Do not worry about getting it perfect . Your beer will still be great . 150 to 154 will most likely do the job . If you get say 148 then add in a gallon of boiling water and stir it up good . If you get 159 then add in some cold water but not as much and not all at once as it cools quickly when it starts dropping . A quart at a time is good .
REMEMBER - if you add in a gallon of mash water you need to cut out a gallon of sparge water . I simply sparge until my boil volume is reached then turn off the spigot . That way it really does not matter how much you use .
Only practice will tell you what temp to use for your tun as it varies .

Sparge water . 4.21 gallons at 170 degrees . keep a lid on the pot so it does not cool down too much while sparging as it takes a while to do right . Sparge and drain mash tun at a slow rate to avoid clogging your filter . i.e. stuck sparge . Just drain your mash tun then start your sparge pouring through a strainer to spread water around . keep the top of the grain bed under a quarter or so inch of water until your boil volume is reached in your pot .

This is what I do . Others may have a different view on it . But it works and this is great beer indeed.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sparge Water: 4.21 gal at 170.0 degrees

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In - Add 14.69 qt of water at 165.9 F ...... ADD GRAIN and temp drops to this - 154.0 F .. mash for 60 min .

A note on mashing . . If you want a clean flow all time then wrap a nylon paint filter bag from paint store around your false bottom and you will never get a stuck sparge from a nice fine grind . this is mine . I am really happy with it . https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-new-mash-tun-filter-376005/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ok, so I converted this to extract and got my stuff. Doing some research, it turns out I really need to mash some grain with the oatmeal in order to convert. Problem is, I dont have any available.

So, what to do?

a) throw it in and pretend it will "steep"

b) leave it out and proceed minus oatmeal.

c) ???

Any help appreciated, I am brewing this 6/23 in the PM.

If it is like flaked or quick oats then it is ready to go in mash . But if you are not mashing then that is another story . someone with more knowledge would be more helpful than me on that .
But ... I say this . Oatmeal is most likely for mouth appeal . Body . I think . You could leave it out and still have a real great beer .
How ever I think , THINK , that flaked oats will do fine as they have already been steel rolled and that makes them good for the steep . I think . I would use quick oats from the store .
At any rate I think you can boil oats , corn , rice etc and then they are good to go for your steep . I think .

EDIT : Here it is . the oats are for body . this guy adds them in the boil then removes them leaving the stuff for body in the wort . http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/04/adding-oats-to-boil-coffee-stout.html

Thanks for the link, Marcus. I read it and the follow up where he blogged on tasting. Turns out it didnt work out so well for him.

yes I did not read it all and thought that putting oats in the boil was odd.
thing is it is only for body basically so you could just leave it out . But I am pretty sure that quick oats can be steeped . I read some stuff on it a while back and it had to do with the heat from being steel rolled .

edit : I bet boiling them oats for an hour made a mess . The taste would probably come out in the beer . Over cooked oatmeal is not too good . I think steeping them would only bring out the starches and sugars or what ever is in it that gives body

Just finished a batch. Hit my OG at 1.058. Pitch temp a little warm at 83F, but this is Florida and I need to sleep now.
I used 1098 British and think it will be great.
My first ALL AG with no supplemental DME. Surprised my little cooler held the temps (well laid out BTW).

I just left the oats out. Oh well, should be the kick in the nuts i need to move in to biab.

All good though, should still make a damn fine beer.

pollock ;
I do not know about that yeast but I would say as long as it is not dumped into wort that is far hotter than temp of the yeast it should be okay . I mix in some wort to my rehydrated yeast a little at a time till the temps are close to each other . Advice from the Notty people .

brokebucket ;
I bet it is great . I think a nut brown really does not need a lot of body to be good . The great taste will over come .
I do not get the whole biab thing . seemed like a lot of work and not enough beer when I read about it .
Why not AG in a cooler ?

Marcus,

Not really the place for a BIAB discussion, but short answer is simplification. IDK what you really mean by amount. Most BIAB setups are for 5 gallon batches, which is plenty for me.

Peace,

Chris

thought it made smaller amounts unless you had a hoist system to lift up all that grain in a bag .

Oh well back to AG nut brown . . I just tried a bottle that is 2 weeks old almost . Not bad but I think it is going to improve a lot after a month . Was nice an smooth with no bitter taste .

Been drinking away on this . Very good ! I make this with 1 LB chocolate malt . it is very tasty indeed. I also like it with the .25 chocolate malt and in fact think next time I will make it in between at .50 .
this and Cream of Three Crops are my favorite beers .

Greetings! Going to scale this up to a 15 gallon all-grain with the club, and want to make it a bit more fall/harvest-like, so am using some maple syrup (2-3 pounds) and considering the addition of some light spices - a bit of ginger and maybe some allspice - to reference fall flavors. I am wanting these to be in the background, as the nutty brown must be front and center, and am unsure of how much to use for 15 gallons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Make sure you read up on maple syrup additions. It's highly fermentable and will drop the final gravity and dry your beer out. Or so I've heard. Never tried it. I'm experimenting with making a maple coffee stout (Founders Canadian Breakfast stout clone). I'm trying maple syrup as the sugar at bottling and maple flavor at bottling. Good luck.

Greetings! Going to scale this up to a 15 gallon all-grain with the club, and want to make it a bit more fall/harvest-like, so am using some maple syrup (2-3 pounds) and considering the addition of some light spices - a bit of ginger and maybe some allspice - to reference fall flavors. I am wanting these to be in the background, as the nutty brown must be front and center, and am unsure of how much to use for 15 gallons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Might be easier to use maple extract. Or add it post fermentation to a keg and blend. Keep it cold, as the maple will ferment out completely and leave pretty much nothing.

I'd use B grade if you can, has more maple flavor than the prime A.

I did this recipe with maple syrup, and wasn't impressed. Could have been my choice of yeast which was the whitbred strain. I kegged and added maple in secondary, allowed it to ferment, and added again to the keg. I got the maple in there, subtle though.

Looking for a sanity check here. I have run the numbers and I am pretty sure I know what I did. But I figured I would double-check here.

I brewed this last fall as a 5 gallon batch. I went with the following recipe and got the following result:

Maris Otter - 9.25 pounds (77.1%)
Crystal 80 - 1 pound (8.3%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (8.3%)
Victory - .5 pound (4.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (2.1%)

Mashed at 154F

Fuggle - 4.3% - 1 ounce at 60
EKG - 5.0% - 1 ounce at 15

OG 1.054 FG 1.018 - (Yeast WLP002) Carmelly, chocolatey, malty with just a hint of UK hop flavor. To me, it occupied the space between a Southern English Brown and a Northern English Brown. Higher in gravity than a Southern. But richer and maltier than a Northern.

Fast forward to last month. I'd been listening to some old episodes of the Jamil Show and wanted to push this recipe closer to a Northern. I wanted to dry it out a bit, lighten the mouthfeel and accentuate the hops more than in my previous version. What I came up with was a hybrid of this recipe and Jamil's Northern recipe.

This was for 10 gallons

Maris Otter - 17 pounds (81.9%)
English dark crystal (75L) - .75 pound (3.6%)
Victory - 1 pound (4.8%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (4.8%)
Special Roast - .5 pound (2.4%)
Pale Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)

Mash at 151F

Fuggle 4.5% - 2 ounces at 60 (13 gallons at start of boil)
EKG 5.8% - 2 ounces at 15 (11 gallons at end of boil)

OG 1.050 FG 1.012 (WLP002) - The resulting beer is significantly drier in mouthfeel than my original beer. The hops also stand out quite a bit more. Whereas the original beer was carmel and chocolate, this one is more "toast" and darker flavors (licorice and tobacco are the only 2 the come to mind).

This version is good. The previous version was great. Instead of going "greater" I'm thinking my recipe changes pushed the beer in the direction of just good.

I reviewed those #s side by side this morning and think that I hit on a perfect storm of changes all at once. I am of the mind that the following changes dried this beer out more than I'd anticipated and I simply over-shot my mark:

1. Replaced a significant amount of the sweeter non-fermentables and body building grains (crystal and oats) with a higher percentage of base malt.

2. Hops were slightly higher in AA%. Add to that the fact that my higher boil volume by doing a 10-ish gallon vs. 5-gallon batch resulted in higher hop utilization.

3. Dropped my mash temperature 3F in the second beer. This resulted and the malt bill changes resulted in an apparent fermentation of 76% vs. my original 67%.

I'd still like to make a "less sweet" version of the original. But at this point I am wondering do I just revert to the original recipe and drop the mash temperature a bit. Or just take the new recipe but add back some of the crystal to sweeten it up a bit. I really like the complexity that the 2 types of chocolate plus the special roast give the current version of the beer. My main issue with my current result is that I dried it out enough to make the hops stand out firmer than I want.

And I am sure the special roast adds to the perception of bitterness as well.

I would start with the original recipe and just make one change at a time so you can pinpoint what exactly was affected and how. Based on what your end goal is I would simply drop the mash temp of the original recipe from 154F to 150F. This will obviously lower the FG, dry the beer out more, and leave less residual sugars. From there you can add any other specialty malts you feel you are missing into the next batch.

That is just what I would do, but everyone is different. Regardless, let us know what you do and how it turns out. Cheers!

Looking for a sanity check here. I have run the numbers and I am pretty sure I know what I did. But I figured I would double-check here.

I brewed this last fall as a 5 gallon batch. I went with the following recipe and got the following result:

Maris Otter - 9.25 pounds (77.1%)
Crystal 80 - 1 pound (8.3%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (8.3%)
Victory - .5 pound (4.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (2.1%)

Mashed at 154F

Fuggle - 4.3% - 1 ounce at 60
EKG - 5.0% - 1 ounce at 15

OG 1.054 FG 1.018 - (Yeast WLP002) Carmelly, chocolatey, malty with just a hint of UK hop flavor. To me, it occupied the space between a Southern English Brown and a Northern English Brown. Higher in gravity than a Southern. But richer and maltier than a Northern.

Fast forward to last month. I'd been listening to some old episodes of the Jamil Show and wanted to push this recipe closer to a Northern. I wanted to dry it out a bit, lighten the mouthfeel and accentuate the hops more than in my previous version. What I came up with was a hybrid of this recipe and Jamil's Northern recipe.

This was for 10 gallons

Maris Otter - 17 pounds (81.9%)
English dark crystal (75L) - .75 pound (3.6%)
Victory - 1 pound (4.8%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (4.8%)
Special Roast - .5 pound (2.4%)
Pale Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)

Mash at 151F

Fuggle 4.5% - 2 ounces at 60 (13 gallons at start of boil)
EKG 5.8% - 2 ounces at 15 (11 gallons at end of boil)

< snipped for space saving >

If you want more flavor less sweet then try this version . It is very good and the one I make the most although I do make both .
This is a 5.5 gallon batch but I make it 6 gallons and it comes out real good .

Just do not do as I did a couple batches back and add in 1 pound of black malt thinking I was adding chocolate , it was in a bag marked chocolate when i bought it but I thought it was looking rather dark got stupid used it any way. Very biter and I poured it out .

EDIT: I thought I might add in that this has a bit of a bitter chocolate taste so if you do not want so much you might drop it to .50 or so chocolate and the hops flavors would shine through i think . Actually next time I think I will do that . maybe even more kent at 15 min

9 Lbs pale 2 row
1 Lbs Caramel Crystal 60 L
1 Lbs Chocolate malt
1 Lbs flaked oats
.50 Lbs Victory malt
1 Oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1 Oz East Kent goldings @ 60 min
1 Oz Fuggles @ 15 min
Notty yeast

This has some very interesting variations. My session, this past Sunday, was this:

15 Gallon All Grain batch

Mash @ 154 60 min (11 gal @ 168 to get there):
25 lbs pale 2-row
4 lbs Caramel 60L
1 lb Chocolate malt
1 lb Victory malt
3 lbs Flaked Oats

Batch sparge @ 170

Boil 60 min

@ 60 min 3 oz Fuggles
@ 30 min 3 oz Goldings
@ 10 min 3 tsp Irish Moss
@ flameout:

3 lbs clover honey
2 lbs maple syrup
2 Tbs allspice

Proofed the yeast @ 80 degrees using 3 cups third runnings 3x packets Nottingham dry yeast

Pitched @ 70.

OG: 1.058, FG estimate 1.008 (we have amazing attenuation with this Louisville water)

We will see how this turns out....

I may have spoken too soon. I'm wondering if I drank these with trub and hop matter from the first couple of pints. The more bitter samples were consumed over the weekend. Before the weekend closed out, I filled my dad's 1.75 gal keg with some of the beer fermented with WLP013. For the 002, I filled a 64 ounce growler to take to an event.

That got any trub or hops out. I went back to try both beers last night. The bitterness has backed off and the malt is in the foreground. In the 002 I get a lot of Maris otter biscuity nuttiness. In the 013, I get the coffee and chocolate I was looking for.

It tastes like I am headed in the right direction with this one. I picked up some Newcastle on the way home and tried it side by side with the 013. The Newcastle has a hint more bitterness. Mine is a little more chocolatey and a touch bigger than the Newcastle.

I had my wife (who generally only drinks stuff if it is purple and comes in a wine glass) try them, not knowing which was which. She picked the home brew as having more depth and better flavor. She thought the Newcastle was blander and had less, we'll, just less everything.

I live in a state where our alcohol distributors abuse our beer horribly. They store it in warm warehouses and none of our liquor stores can sell it cold. So I am willing to believe even a can if Newcastle will show signs of abuse here. I have had it fresh and it is still one of my favorite beers. There is a flavor i got in the commercial beer that i picked up in a can of Old Speckeled Hen i had recently. i am thinking this may just be age and poor handling.

But this new recipe is something to continue exploring. I can definitely see myself brewing the sweeter, heavier version as a fall/winter beer and switching to the drier version for spring/summer.

the newcastle is way too bitter for the beer . I tried one and never bought another . This recipe is far superior .
I like the Lil Sparky version in the warm weather . Nice and smooth with no sticky feeling left in my mouth that I do not want when I am hot and thirsty .
EDIT : I like to let my nut browns age in the bottle for about a month . they really start tasting better .

I almost feel like I'm cheating on my house yeast. I split this batch. Half got wlp002 (my go to strain). The other half got wlp013. I have to admit I really am liking the 013 in the drier version of the beer.

Racked mine to secondary, gravity down to 1.008, as expected. May get another point or two in secondary, should finish at a very drinkable 6.7-6.9% ABV. Will post a pic or two and some tasting notes once finished and carbonated.

53 bottles this morning. 4 weeks in secondary, beautiful brown, clear as could be. A little green, but I could drink it now as is. Can tell already its going to be a great NB.

Drinking it now, only 2 weeks in the bottle but tastes great. No haze, still a little green, a couple more weeks and it will be even better.

Got this one in the mash right now. Just a couple changes to the OP. What do you think?

8.5 lbs 2 row

1 lb crystal 60

1 lb victory

.25 lb chocolate

.25 carafa

.25 honey malt

1 oz fuggles @ 60

1 oz e kent goldings @ 15

1 oz fuggles @ 15

Nottingham yeast dry

FYI for those of you wondering (as I was). I wanted to make a maple nut brown so I decided to use this as a base as I've made it before and loved it. I skipped on the maple syrup as everyone typically suggests and used maple extract instead. Using a few commercial beers and a 1ml dropper I put together a couple of taste tests and scaled it up from there. I found that adding 0.5 oz. of the maple extract wasn't bad, but you wouldn't be able to notice it unless I told you it was in there. 1.0 oz. had good maple aroma and flavor, but seemed to overpower the base beer a bit. So, I decided to go with 0.75 oz. I just tapped this last night and it is amazing. There's a big maple aroma and taste, but doesn't overpower the nutty/chocolately notes of the base beer. Nor is it sweet or "sticky" tasting, as I was fearing. Definitely nailed it.

Back