3rd yr Hallertau Possable useless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhookmec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to growing hops and wondering if someone can tell me whats going on with these plants.

This is my 3rd year hallertau and I'm yet to get any usable hops off this plant.
The cones look undeveloped and have no aroma to them at all.
All the horz. vines tword the bottom have dried out and basically fell off.

Thanks for any help..

Tim

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

Looks like you got infected w/ Powdery or downey mildew and it raised some great Higgly-Piggly with their development. A good prevention measure is to spray early on with a baking soda and water concoction. You'll have to look up the amounts but it's not much. Consider this a learning experience and better luck next year.

Same thing happened to all four of my two year growth. Very frustrating. I have Goldings, Halertauer, Sterling, and Tettnanger. They got off to a good start but got hit by worms and mildew.

I am going to baby them with fertilizer, pesticide (organic) and baking soda and neem oil. To see how they do.

I am also planting Columbus and centennial to see if some Americans will do better.

Fingers crossed!

image-4087112671.jpg

This is the set up, before they took off.

Neem oil is a great pesticide also use 3 tbs per gallon and spray on every 3 weeks or as needed. If you have cones it will give a garlicky tast to them so dont spray for a few week before harvest.

Back