A friendly reminder.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
I just ruined a 5g batch of graff. picked up this awesome apple cider i normally get for just heating up and drinking from Sams club for 4 bucks a gallon. Didn't check the label for Potassium Sorbate. Now I have 5 gallons of useless unfermentable product.

For you cider and graff guys don't be me, check the labels :)

thats awful. i guess you could use it to backsweeten future cider/graff if you don't want to totally waste it

I made the same mistake a couple years ago. After finding that potassium sorbate doesn't kill yeast but keeps it from reproducing I added about a half gallon of wyeast1968 slurry from a batch of beer that was just finished to the four gallons of cider and it fermented slow and steady for about two weeks. It turned out to be the best batch of cider I've made and won a gold medal scoring a 44.

Boiling it will remove the sorbate. Hell throw some extra hops in for flavoring
You will loose some aromatics as well but it will be fermentable!

Boiling doesn't remove sorbate. But if you make a big enough yeast starter, you MAY be able to overcome it. If it's benzoate, though, forget it- it'll never ferment!

I'll have to look at my box of Trulemon again. It had something in it too. But it didn't hinder fermentation at carb time,since I'd mixed it with the priming solution. It isn't sweetened either,just crystalized juice. Something of that natur has prooven interesting to me.
But I also buy local silty cider for brewing or wine. I used to make a bitchin sparkling wine close to an Asti out of it.

no local orchards where I'm from. Farm country here is corn and sugarbeets. so lame. But yeah its all good. Went back to ol' reliable musselmans and it's now happily bubbling away in my closet. A 30$ lesson isnt the worst thing in the world. Also brewed a maple dark ale last night. What a day!

Back