3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skeezerpleezer said:
Nah, it took at least 3-5 min. They went on a bit before 8pm. Wish it wasnt a 1 lb limit.

No kidding, I was waiting at my computer so I got some but dang! Literally 250-300 pounds of citra went in less than 10 minutes. At a one pound limit that's nuts to me! Same with the Amarillo. Hops direct has blown up! Last year and the year before that I don't remember it being anything like that.

Is there a way that I can get notified when the next shipments of citra, Amarillo or other hard to come by hops are in stock? I am new to brewing and would like to try and get my hands on some also. In other words how do you guys know when to place your orders? Newsletter? Email subscription? Or just privileged info?

Dave37 said:
Is there a way that I can get notified when the next shipments of citra, Amarillo or other hard to come by hops are in stock? I am new to brewing and would like to try and get my hands on some also. In other words how do you guys know when to place your orders? Newsletter? Email subscription? Or just privileged info?

Facebook is a good place to get the latest release info, just like the hop suppliers page for updates.

skeezerpleezer said:
Facebook is a good place to get the latest release info, just like the hop suppliers page for updates.

Thanks i am now in the know and subscribed to hoos direct facebook page. Thanks skeezer

I am brewing this EXTRACT in about 3 hours! I need some help. I usually add the DME at 15 minutes left in the boil. However, I know this changes the hop utilization. Any advice on whether I should just put the DME in at 60 or add it at the end of the boil. Thanks for your advice.

We just mashed in a batch. My 25 y/o daughter wants to learn to brew, so we're breaking her in with this batch. She's a hophead, hopefully this will fit her likes.

Cheers

What do you guys think about using this exact recipe, but using Mosaic hops, instead of Citra. Seems impossible to find Citra right now, and I have 10 oz. os Mosaic hops. Might not be the same, but think it woulds still turn out good? I am looking for a beer to show off Mosaic hops as I have never used them before.

What do you guys think about using this exact recipe, but using Mosaic hops, instead of Citra. Seems impossible to find Citra right now, and I have 10 oz. os Mosaic hops. Might not be the same, but think it woulds still turn out good? I am looking for a beer to show off Mosaic hops as I have never used them before.

I have a similar batch dry hopping right now - all Mosaic (except magnum for bittering). My grav sample tasted very citrusy but I want to hold my thoughts until I've had a few fully conditioned bottles. I have a feeling Mosaic will gain popularity over time.

Brewed this beer for a second time finally getting to drink it now. First brew was with S-04 yeast beer turned out excellent, everyone loved it. This last time I used us-05, beer was a little watery (might have mashed a little low). I don't think the hop profile is as fruity as with the British yeast. When I brew again it will be with s-04

Is it just 1 packet of S-04, rehydrated?? Thats what I bought to make this with the Mosaic hops. Cant wait!! Wish I could find some Citra though.

I got a Mr. Beer Kit which is 2 gallon. Can I just cut your 6gallon recipe to a third, or is there more to it? I'm trying to make this beer for my boyfriend and it's my first solo attempt at making beer. PS> it's a surprise. Help?

I got a Mr. Beer Kit which is 2 gallon. Can I just cut your 6gallon recipe to a third, or is there more to it? I'm trying to make this beer for my boyfriend and it's my first solo attempt at making beer. PS> it's a surprise. Help?

Wow, love that you are doing this, first off. I think you could, but its a "big" beer to do in a Mr Beer. I have never used one, but I have a hard time believing it would come out as good as it could be. It would have to be extract. Maybe a Mr.Beer user could help.

That's awsome:rockin:

I would say that would work. The biggest trouble is getting the citra hops ,unless you have some start looking. If you follow the extract portion of this thread, you should be good to go.

I noticed this beer uses alot of citra per addition. How much different would it be if i did less per addition but boiled them longer. It just seems a little waistful since the first addition isnt until 15 minutes.

I noticed this beer uses alot of citra per addition. How much different would it be if i did less per addition but boiled them longer. It just seems a little waistful since the first addition isnt until 15 minutes.

A lot different. This questions leads me to believe you need to read up on hop schedules in brewing.

The general idea is that the longer hops are boiled the more bitterness they impart and the less flavor and aroma.

The less time hops are boiled the more flavor and aroma they impart and the less bitterness.

My advice to you would be to brew other peoples recipes(especially ones with a devoted following like this one) as is and once you understand how different things change beer you can start tweaking.

A lot different. This questions leads me to believe you need to read up on hop schedules in brewing.

The general idea is that the longer hops are boiled the more bitterness they impart and the less flavor and aroma.

The less time hops are boiled the more flavor and aroma they impart and the less bitterness.

My advice to you would be to brew other peoples recipes(especially ones with a devoted following like this one) as is and once you understand how different things change beer you can start tweaking.

In retro spec i realize it was a stupid question. At the same time though I still question the amounts and whether your are getting optimal utilization of the hops. I also question the hop schedule since typically the rule of thumb is 30% of your total hops should be used for the first hop wort. Not counting the dry hop that would be 1.8oz.

caioz1jp said:
In retro spec i realize it was a stupid question. At the same time though I still question the amounts and whether your are getting optimal utilization of the hops. I also question the hop schedule since typically the rule of thumb is 30% of your total hops should be used for the first hop wort. Not counting the dry hop that would be 1.8oz.

What is the source of your information? And have you ever had Zombie Dust?

Hops are used for bitterness, flavor, and aroma (and other stuff). That said, if one is trying to utilize the hops for flavor and aroma, late additions are the way to do it.

I'm planning on subbing Magnum to bitter, should I just FWH it like the Citra addition or add it at 60 minutes like a normal bittering addition?

Plugging the Magnum into Beertools, it looks like .75oz at 60 would hit 17 ibu. Does that sound right?

That said, if one is trying to utilize the hops for flavor and aroma, late additions are the way to do it.

yup - i did my last batch of this with the knockout additions in the hop back. the grav sample was insane - can't wait till' it's finished. I have a good feeling about this year's crop of Citra (from HD).

That's awsome:rockin:

I would say that would work. The biggest trouble is getting the citra hops ,unless you have some start looking. If you follow the extract portion of this thread, you should be good to go.

I know of a homebrew store that has some citra hops, it's where we always get the ingredients. Are they that tough to find? I'll post tomorrow if they still have some.

What is the source of your information? And have you ever had Zombie Dust?

Hops are used for bitterness, flavor, and aroma (and other stuff). That said, if one is trying to utilize the hops for flavor and aroma, late additions are the way to do it.

Im going to brew the recipe this weekend. I got a great deal on citra so 8.75oz here i come. I understand how hops work. Again All i was asking was is there a way to get more with less on the hop schedule. Im new to IPAs so maybe its just sticker shock.

I know of a homebrew store that has some citra hops, it's where we always get the ingredients. Are they that tough to find? I'll post tomorrow if they still have some.

Don't get me wrong, they can be found, but they can be harder to get at times. If your homebrew store has them, that's great, one less thing to worry about.

caioz1jp said:
Im going to brew the recipe this weekend. I got a great deal on citra so 8.75oz here i come. I understand how hops work. Again All i was asking was is there a way to get more with less on the hop schedule. Im new to IPAs so maybe its just sticker shock.

You could use less, but won't get the same result (aroma/flavor hops). If you buy hops in bulk it makes IPAs much more affordable.

Plugging the recipe into BeerSmith, and it comes out to a higher OG, and higher SRM. Seems way off. Anyone else have this?? I might scale the 2 row back to 10.75lbs, or an even 11. Trying to keep the OG under 1.070, but using it as the recipe states, its all the way up to 1.077

^ Nevermind, figured it out. New to BeerSmith, and didnt realize I had the batch size different. This is a 6g recipe and I had it set to 5.25. Changed it to 6 and its perfect.

Wow I can't believe I just read 75 pages of this thread! Can't wait to make this beer, thanks so much for posting! In case anyone needs some citra, I just ordered a pound this morning. $17.99 for the pound plus $5.30 for shipping set me back $23.29, or about $1.45 an oz. Not too bad!

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/citraleaf2.htm

ETA: They sent me an email less than an hour after ordering saying it had been shipped already.

^ Thanks for a heads up on the Citra. Great price too. Just ordered some. Now I have way too many hops at home. But I dont really see that as a problem haha.

I'm planning on subbing Magnum to bitter, should I just FWH it like the Citra addition or add it at 60 minutes like a normal bittering addition?

Plugging the Magnum into Beertools, it looks like .75oz at 60 would hit 17 ibu. Does that sound right?

Anyone? oh, it's a 10 gallon batch.

Wow I can't believe I just read 75 pages of this thread! Can't wait to make this beer, thanks so much for posting! In case anyone needs some citra, I just ordered a pound this morning. $17.99 for the pound plus $5.30 for shipping set me back $23.29, or about $1.45 an oz. Not too bad!

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/citraleaf2.htm

ETA: They sent me an email less than an hour after ordering saying it had been shipped already.

^ Thanks for a heads up on the Citra. Great price too. Just ordered some. Now I have way too many hops at home. But I dont really see that as a problem haha.

First world problems.... :D Glad I could help! Quoted for others just checking the last page to see...

Thx for the tip as well! i've been searching for some Citra without much luck. Just placed an order for a lb. looks like I'll be brewing up a batch of ZD as soon as my package arrives. :)

Anyone? oh, it's a 10 gallon batch.

I would think a little more for a 10 Gal batch. I'm getting 20 IBU's calculated with the FWH so I think a full 1 oz would be ok if you don't want a 1/4 oz of magnum lying around.

Looks like I missed the bus on the Citra bulk purchase :(

Luckily my LHBS has a bunch, just not as cost effective.

I stopped by my local store and saw they had 16 ounces available. I also read that they will keep effectively for up to 3 years if frozen. So, I scopped them all up. Not cost effective, but I was a little worried that they would be even more scarce going forward.

Anyone get their order from yakima valley yet? Got mine yesterday, incredibly fast service but... I broke the pound up into 2 and 4 oz bags and only ended up with 15.25 ounces... Every other place I've ordered from I've usually gotten 18-20 ounces. Not that I was expecting to get MORE than a pound but...not even a full pound? What gives? :confused: Not a huge deal I suppose but was just a little disappointed with that...

Back