nano homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mverkruyse

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm completely new to the homebrewing arena, but I have a question for all you experienced brewers out there. How many 6.5 gallon batches could you actually make in a day (provided an infinite amount of 6.5 gallon primary fermenters to store it all)?

Depends on extract, partial mash, it all grain technique. Also how many brew kettles you can have going simultaneously.

Assuming extract and one kettle, take 3-4 hours to do right on a stove top. Say 4 hours, and you could feasibly work 16 hours - then 4 batches per day.

How many mash tuns and boil kettles do I get?

With a single setup I could probably get 2 comfortably but with proper timing and rotation I could probably get close to 7 or 8 batches done in a day, but that is moving some grain and would wear a person out pretty quickly after a day or three.

If I were going to do it that way I would get a 50 gal setup and then mash out 6 brews, take two days off, mash out 6 brews, take two days off and repeat

Extract or AG? on my set up I could do prob 40 gallons of AG in a 12 hour span. What are you trying to accomplish?

First, you probably wouldn't brew 6.5 gallon batches for 6.5 gallon fermentors. It is common to brew 5 or 5.5 gallon batches for 6.5 gallon fermentors - you need some head space for the kraussen. I can do two 5.5 gallon batches one after the other in about 4.5-5 hours with an all grain setup (15 gallon cooler MLT, 20 gallon brew kettle, 15 gallon HLT, two propane burners). I time it so that the second mash is ready to be drained when the first batch is done boiling, cooled and into a fermentor. I guess that I could probably keep that pace up for 4 total 5.5 gallon batches, which would probably take 10-11 hours. This would certainly require some prep work, i.e. weighing and grinding grain, weighing and portioning hop additions, etc. That sounds like a worthy challenge. Now to get rid of the wife and kid for a day.

mverkruyse said:
Okay, so I'm completely new to the homebrewing arena, but I have a question for all you experienced brewers out there. How many 6.5 gallon batches could you actually make in a day (provided an infinite amount of 6.5 gallon primary fermenters to store it all)?

How many are you trying to make? I'm slow and still new to all grain but I think given unlimited grains and hops, with my 8 gal pot and 5 gal mash tun, I could probably get 2-3 but 3 is pushing it for my skills.

this sounds like a challenge...

I've knocked out three 5.5 gal batches in a day. That was a long day.

I don't brew 6 gal batches.. On my set up which is a twin Two Vessel system my friends and I have done a 57 gal brew day in 10 1/2 hours. With new burners we can probably shave 45min out of that.

Pretty much impossible to answer because it depends on equipment, skill, recipe, etc... I have done a double batch once (22 gal) and it took right around 9 hours.

Back