Odd performance from SAFALE US-05 - should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_LV

Reaction score
Well, here is the kicker - it ferments like crazy, its alive in there - whirling and rising tiny bubbles to the top all the time - looks like slow washing machine whirling something in there but its not krausening - just a tiny bubble layer on top and thats it - they break, release the usual malty/hoppy smell.

It almost seems like its not US-05 but some lager yeast. And no, I was almost sober and it was US-05.

Fermentation is rather vigorous - went from from .050 to .022 in 2 days and tastes/smells great.

I'm bit worried cause I havent seen this from Safale US-05 - usually there is heavy foaming that wants to get out of the bucket...

Should I be worried? Anyone seen this?

P.S.

Dooh, I should probably mention that this is AG batch, German Munich malt mixed with variety of dark and light caramel malts, Hallertauer Tradition + Saaz hops.

- here's how the beer looks at the start of lauter

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about. Yeast do what they want based on the coditions they live in. Subtle changes in temp, gravity, etc make them behave differently. I use 05 quite a bit. I've noticed that about 1 degree in temp can make a huge difference in the fermentation. What I've experienced is that the difference between a wort temp of 66F and 67F can make the difference between a slow, steady fermentation and a vigorous, wild fermentation. Just leave it alone. It'll be fine.

Back