Bottled a wee heavy yesterday and almost fainted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
Yep. I took the top off my fermenter yesterday at bottling time and took a big whiff, and I must have sucked in a few liters of CO2 and dropped to my knees as my brain was quickly deprived of oxygen. It felt like my head got shocked with an electrode! Pretty funny, and I know Im not the only one. :cross:
-Jefe-

Yep. I took the top off my fermenter yesterday at bottling time and took a big whiff, and I must have sucked in a few liters of CO2 and dropped to my knees as my brain was quickly deprived of oxygen. It felt like my head got shocked with an electrode! Pretty funny, and I know Im not the only one. :cross:
-Jefe-

I've done it too. Don't stick your nose in a fresh kicked keg to check out how it smells. :drunk:

Y'know, I've heard this BS from multiple people on this site. Sniffing a fermenter has no ill effects. To prove it, I'm gonna do it right nowiop;/fg;k/dsz

That's funny. I've never done that, but now that I know, I am going to think about it everytime I open my bucket.

"It stings the nostrils..."
anchorman5.jpg

Also, if you're searching for a leak in the CO2 system of your chest freezer kegerator, don't lean over the edge too far! The bottom is one big pool of CO2, what a way to go...

You could have an Open Kegerator service and have a couple of taps serving up Dead Guy's IPA. What a Hoot... :)

I just watched a special on Discovery Channel about that lake in Africa that was sequestering millions of tons CO2 at the bottom. It erupted and killed around 1700 people up to 16 miles from the lake, as well as thousands of livestock, by suffocation. Not a good thing to breath in.

Woah this is a crazy thread. About a week or two ago I made a jug of harvested bottle yeast. My stupid curiosity wondered what it would smell like, so I opened it up to whiff. Bam, it hit me like a ton of bricks. My nose burned worse than anything I've ever experienced and I nearly passed out. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who experienced this. I didn't know it'd have such a quick impact...I mean I thought you could survive up to 4min without O2 so I didn't expect CO2 to do so much so quickly...whatever it was, from now on I fan before smelling haha...

On the other hand whenever I hear of people oxygenating their wort with pure O2 I just think how much O2 I would burn through if I had that setup.

Lol, I totally did this the other day and will not be repeating that mistake again. It got me buzzed and lit my nose on fire. Not even the kind of thing that a robitussin-slurping, air-duster sniffing emo kid would be interested in, though.

I should have known better. I know CO2 sinks, and I don't particularly enjoy the sensation I get when from the gas in tissue culture incubators, which is only 5% CO2.

A friend of mine who worked at a pizzeria used to do that when they would punch down the dough in five gallon buckets. They called it "dough hits". Idiots.

I just watched a special on Discovery Channel about that lake in Africa that was sequestering millions of tons CO2 at the bottom. It erupted and killed around 1700 people up to 16 miles from the lake, as well as thousands of livestock, by suffocation. Not a good thing to breath in.

And now people are talking about pumping tons of CO2 into underground storage tanks containing millions of tons of CO2. I do not see this ending well....

I do this more often than I care to admit... usually when I open up my fermentation fridge (chest freezer) after it's been bubbling away for a week.

I sure would hate to hear about one of you home brew fanatics being found slumped over dead from asphyxiation with your head down inside a chest freezer, unless of course you had your favorite brew in your grasp with a smile on your face.

LOL. I guess its a better way to go than David Carradine. BTW, the lake in africa was Lake Nyos, a really deep crater lake. It was a pretty tragic story about the power of CO2 over aerobic life.

Our brains are really funny how they respond to O2 and CO2. For instance, the desire and force that drives us to want to take a breath is not driven in response to low O2 concentrations in your blood; its high amounts of CO2 that is the chemical signal. Like when you are diving in a pool and you get the "signal" to surface and breathe, thats your brain telling you there is too much CO2 in your blood. But you only "pass out" when your blood O2 levels drop. So it might be a rare instance that by breathing a huge amount of CO2, you will pass out, because your brain will only pass out when your O2 sats drop. But that does not mean that it wont jolt your brain and other senses! And, man, it does! What a great and unique experience.
-Jefe-

I do this more often than I care to admit... usually when I open up my fermentation fridge (chest freezer) after it's been bubbling away for a week.

Same here. I do it almost every time I open a primary to rack or bottle. I can never stop myself from trying to smell it right away.

"It stings the nostrils" from a few posts up is exactly right.

I guess its a better way to go than David Carradine.

I imagine you could "pull a Carradine" with a bottling bucket. And I imagine someone, somewhere has tried it already. There's a joke about priming your beer somewhere in there...

:eek:

Back