Not so Carbonated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
Made a batch of Pale ale from a recipe (first time not using a kit) and it came out onlt mildly Carbonated. Is there any way to carb it up some (maybe carb tabs)?

Give it more time. It should carb up more in another week or two. You can speed up the process by warming them up to the lower-mid 70's.

Give it more time, there's nothing wrong with it, except it's not ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If it's 68, then it's under 70, and although that doesn't seem like a temp diff to you and me, to micro organsms that's a lot......but anyway, just read the blog and give them a few more weeks.

:mug:

Give it more time. It should carb up more in another week or two. You can speed up the process by warming them up to the lower-mid 70's.

OK it has been about a month now and still very little carbonation. It has been sitting in a room that is about 70 degrees.
I had some trouble getting the fermentaion to start in this batch and I think I had some yeast that was a bit old. Would that be the problem? I used 4oz of corn sugar at bottling that was added to the entire batch at once. Did I not use enough sugar?
This was my first attempt at a recipe and not a kit so I am trying to learn so I can go to recipes and have some more room to adjust and experiment.
I will still drink it. I just wish it was a bit more carbonated.

Back