Juicer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have a bunch of orchards around me and with apple season just a couple weeks away I want to be able to make fresh cider. Couple questions. About how many pounds of apples will it take to get 5 gallons of juice? And how should I go about juicing the apples? I have the kitchenaid food porccesor and I could get this for it. Does anyone have an opinions about it? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a juicer or processer will work but is slow. You can make your own cider press fairly easily if you are handy - do a search on google images for plans, and youtube is good for how to use a press. You would need 80-100 lbs of fruit for 5 gal. I use a garden shredder for crushing the fruit. It is hard work however you do it but will make great cider.

A garden shredder????? As in a mulcher? How in the hell is that healthy? I did find this which might be over the top for what I need but it would be cool as hell. Also would a normal wine press work as the press because someone is selling one cheap on craigslist.

A mulcher would work much better than the "scratter" in your link. You can open it up, give a good clean with soap and water, sharpen the blades then discard the first bit you crush. It works really well as a cider mill and most people have one in the shed.
A wine press works well for cider, you may miss some of the juice but they are easy to use. New they are very expensive but if you can get a cheap one go for it, just don't try that scratter, it looks very unsafe.

Unsafe as in health or actual usage? As far as usage I would not be worried because my friends and I could design something perfectly safe. I just would not trust a mulcher for something that I am going to be ingesting. Plus I would have to buy one anyway. Any other suggestions of than a mulcher?

The mulcher wasn't my idea, igot the idea from a british TV show called river cottage. I saw a youtube video of something like the scratter and it didn't seem to work very well. If you can't borrow a mulcher then something from the kitchen would have to do - blender maybe.

Sounds like you are worrying too much about food safety. After fermentation and camden tablets cider is very safe to drink. I work in a winery at vintage and you wouldn't believe the stuff that goes in a red wine fermenter.

Latest posts

Back