Haier NuCool for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renevdb

Reaction score
Anyone looked at the Haier NuCool 2.8 CU fridge for fermenting?

The outside demensions look like it can hold a carboy but can't find any inside demensions to confirm. Also haven't seen them in the store localy so if somebody see this thing please measerure :)

I actually have a couple of them in production. They work great for ales but I don't think they would do well for lagers if you have a warm room (they are rated to to 37F in a 70F ambient room).

The dimensions are fine except for the inside shelves on the door. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to carve them out a bit:

Dremel Fridge - Working.jpg

Then I covered up the insulation with duct tape to keep any condensation out:

Dremel Fridge - Duct Tape.jpg

Here it is with a 6.5 gallon Ale Pail. I actually cut out the second shelf on the door as well since I did this so you can ignore the metal shelf the pail is sitting on. Balancing the pail on that thing got old real fast:

Dremel Fridge - Done.jpg

With the Ale Pail, I have 7" of clearance above the lid of the bucket.

A 5 gallon glass carboy fits in there without modification (I have a second one I use for secondaries and it is unmodified).

With airlocks on (standard 3 piece), I have 2"-3" of clearance using an Ale Pail and 1"-2" of clearance using a 5 gallon carboy.

I don't know the dimensions of a 6.5 gallon carboy but that may be a really tight fit. You might have to use some alternative to an airlock.

I'm very happy with the performance. They're pretty quiet and I can maintain any ale temperature with ease.

Great, I will pick one up later this week when they are back in stock. Perfect for my Belgian Ales :)

After discovering this thread I did some quick research and discovered they are sold by Target. Over to target.com and discovered they are on sale this week for $79 which is $50 off.

After discovering this thread I did some quick research and discovered they are sold by Target. Over to target.com and discovered they are on sale this week for $79 which is $50 off.

Wow. That's a really good deal. I paid full price for both of mine.

Has anybody tried to see of a couple corney kegs would fit in these? I couldn't get the internal dimensions. I was thinking of using them for extra space for cold-conditioning (I have more kegs going that can fit in my keezer!)

$79! Great price! I am now torn whether I want to invest in another 28 bottle wine cooler or this thing for a fermentation chamber. +s for wine cooler - no mod necessary, will keep at any temp from 50 to 65. Basically an instant chamber. But no ability to lager. (But I do have a 90 cubic foot fridge that I keep at 35 that will hold as many carboys as I could ever own.) Other minus is that the wine cooler is a little more money.

Evil, you say that the fridge is not good for lagering? Is 37 degrees not good enough for lagering? Also, if you are investing in the external thermostat anyway, can't you push that temp lower than 37?

Evil, you say that the fridge is not good for lagering? Is 37 degrees not good enough for lagering? Also, if you are investing in the external thermostat anyway, can't you push that temp lower than 37?

That's 37F in a 70F room under optimum conditions. If your ambient temperature is higher (my house is usually closer to 80F) and you have an exothermic fermentation going on, I wouldn't count on going much lower than 50F. I haven't tried it, though.

The external thermostat turns the entire fridge on an off which means even if you set the external thermostat lower, the internal one will stop at 37F.

That's 37F in a 70F room under optimum conditions. If your ambient temperature is higher (my house is usually closer to 80F) and you have an exothermic fermentation going on, I wouldn't count on going much lower than 50F. I haven't tried it, though.

The external thermostat turns the entire fridge on an off which means even if you set the external thermostat lower, the internal one will stop at 37F.

(Wow! warm house. I would be miserable.) My basement runs a steady 62 in Summer and 56 in Winter.)

I was just assuming that one would bypass the internal t-stat since it is such an easy surgery.

The real issue may be the technology in regards to a low of 37. This unit has no compressor or coolant.

(Wow! warm house. I would be miserable.) My basement runs a steady 62 in Summer and 56 in Winter.)

Yeah, it's expensive to keep a house cooler than that in Arizona. :)

I was just assuming that one would bypass the internal t-stat since it is such an easy surgery.

If you bypass the internal t-stat and keep it in a 60 degree basement, lagering should not be an issue.

The real issue may be the technology in regards to a low of 37. This unit has no compressor or coolant.

It uses Peltiers which can only achieve a certain temperature differential. That's why they specify 37F in a 70F room. If you get the hot side of a peltier cooler, you can get the cold side cooler but that may require overriding the thermostat.

They may also have that limitation set so that you don't get frost buildup on the peltiers and fans.

I looked at this exact same fridge in the Target flyer this weekend and wondered if I could fit a 6 gallon BB in there. I'm totally stopping on my way home from work to measure. I think the limiting factor is the width--I think 12 inches (one way or another) should do it. If I can get the fridge down to the 40s-50s, then I'll just use it for fermentation, then just put the carboy in the keezer for the long-term lagering stage. This thing could open up a whole new brewing world to me!

I looked at this exact same fridge in the Target flyer this weekend and wondered if I could fit a 6 gallon BB in there. I'm totally stopping on my way home from work to measure. I think the limiting factor is the width--I think 12 inches (one way or another) should do it. If I can get the fridge down to the 40s-50s, then I'll just use it for fermentation, then just put the carboy in the keezer for the long-term lagering stage. This thing could open up a whole new brewing world to me!

I just measured the internal space:

14.5" wide
24" high
13.5" max* deep

* This is with modifying the door shelves.
Without modification you're looking at 10.5" which is just enough for a 5 gallon carboy which has a 10" diameter.

I just measured the internal space:

14.5" wide
24" high
13.5" max* deep

* This is with modifying the door shelves.
Without modification you're looking at 10.5" which is just enough for a 5 gallon carboy which has a 10" diameter.

Thanks a ton for this! It looks like I'll have to modify the door shelves to make my 6gal BBs fit, but I have a dremmel, so that shouldn't be a big deal at all. For ~$80, it's well worth it I think. In my area can't get a used minifridge off of Craigslist for that cheap (I've been looking)...

I'm going to install a Love temperature controller in it too, so it's going under the knife one way or another anyway. ;)

BTW, according to the Better Bottle website, the height of the 3, 5, and 6 gallon carboys is the same: 19 1/3." The difference is in the diameter: 7 1/2" square, 10 5/8", and 11 3/8" respectively. So, as long as your airlock isn't more than 4" or so, there should be enough clearance. Not sure there's enough room in there for a blowoff tube setup though...

I actually have a couple of them in production. They work great for ales but I don't think they would do well for lagers if you have a warm room (they are rated to to 37F in a 70F ambient room).

The dimensions are fine except for the inside shelves on the door. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to carve them out a bit.

EvilGnome6, have you tried taking the door panel off altogether?

I'm going to install a Love temperature controller in it too, so it's going under the knife one way or another anyway. ;)

I have one of them set up with a Love controller. I mounted the controller in a Project Enclosure with an IEC power connector for the power in and a single outlet for the fridge. It's just stuck on top of the fridge with double sided tape:

a768dd4a865c__1250502308000.jpg

69668a9f2fc6__1250502364000.jpg

EvilGnome6, have you tried taking the door panel off altogether?

I considered it but the magnetic rubber seal is actually mounted in a groove in the door panel.

a5bfcd9ff2b4__1250503129000.jpg
5d3d699690c3__1250503105000.jpg

If you took off the door panel you'd have to find some way to attach the seal to the door. Alternately you could carve out everything to the inside of the seal but that seemed like more work than just carving an arc out of the shelves.

BTW, according to the Better Bottle website, the height of the 3, 5, and 6 gallon carboys is the same: 19 1/3." The difference is in the diameter: 7 1/2" square, 10 5/8", and 11 3/8" respectively. So, as long as your airlock isn't more than 4" or so, there should be enough clearance. Not sure there's enough room in there for a blowoff tube setup though...

Thanks for providing the dimensions on the Better Bottles. I've been thinking of picking up a 6 gallon as a primary. A 3 piece airlock adds 3"-4" of height depending on how far you cram it into the stopper so it should fit.

A blowoff tube setup should be feasible, too if you can get it to arc down within 4". If you can find a tall, skinny container that will fit in the corner of the fridge you'll be set.

That's an awsome price, here they are on sale at Target for $139 :mad:

I considered it but the magnetic rubber seal is actually mounted in a groove in the door panel.

If you took off the door panel you'd have to find some way to attach the seal to the door. Alternately you could carve out everything to the inside of the seal but that seemed like more work than just carving an arc out of the shelves.

Thanks for these. It looks like you're right--just cutting away the extra seems like the easiest solution.

That's an awsome price, here they are on sale at Target for $139 Target :mad:

Sorry man. That sucks. But, think of it this way: You live in Hawaii. I'm stuck here in DC. I think we all know who is "winning" at the game of life here. :p

Has anyone conducted a full test of the thermoelectric cooling capacity?

Thermoelectric coolers typically has warnings like "don't put warm items in the cooler" for a reason. They do a decent job of cooling down thermally neutral items (e.g., items not producing heat) but do a poor job otherwise.

I believe you'll find you still need to place blue ice packs in the fridge during active fermentation to maintain ale temperatures (65F - 70F)...The yeast activity will simply overwhelm the cooling capacity of the unit.

Has anyone conducted a full test of the thermoelectric cooling capacity?

Thermoelectric coolers typically has warnings like "don't put warm items in the cooler" for a reason. They do a decent job of cooling down thermally neutral items (e.g., items not producing heat) but do a poor job otherwise.

I believe you'll find you still need to place blue ice packs in the fridge during active fermentation to maintain ale temperatures (65F - 70F)...The yeast activity will simply overwhelm the cooling capacity of the unit.

I've had no issues maintaining ale temperatures with active fermentation. Even with the thermometer probe taped to the side of the fermenter it holds the temperature rock steady.

It's designed to be able to hold a 33 degree differential (37F at 70F). With ale temps in a hot room (65F in an 80F room) you're looking at a 15 degree differential. Add an extra 10 degrees for a vigorous exothermic fermentation and you're at a 25F differential, still within cooling capacity of the unit.

I purchased one of these today. Testing the cooling ability it has been plugged in for about an hour. In the non AC'd portion of the house my thermostat reads 90 degrees. I just pulled my digital thermometer from the unit and it reads 51.1 degrees.

I picked one up last night (Target must have had 2 dozen in stock, BTW), plugged it in in my 68-70* basement, put a 6 pack in it, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and the 6 pack was probably around the high 30s, maybe very low 40s. I didn't have a thermometer or probe handy to take an accurate reading, but the bottles were definitely cold to the touch.

Tonight I plan to take an accurate temp reading with my thermometer, and reverse the door so it is situated correctly for my setup. I'll also probably put a big jug of hot water in there to see how the unit does. Assuming the temps look ok tomorrow, I'll start the permanent "deconstruction" process.

I am wondering whether this unit could maintain lager fermentation temps (48-52) without an external t-stat in a room where the ambient is 64 degrees at its warmest. This is only a 12 degree differential. Accounting for exothermic reaction (which is not very extreme in lager yeast) will this unit do a 12 degree differential at its warmest setting?

Note that I am wondering if it can stay warm enough not cold enough. If I have to purchase a t-stat for this then this unit becomes more expensive than the wine cooler that I am looking at.

I am wondering whether this unit could maintain lager fermentation temps (48-52) without an external t-stat in a room where the ambient is 64 degrees at its warmest. This is only a 12 degree differential. Accounting for exothermic reaction (which is not very extreme in lager yeast) will this unit do a 12 degree differential at its warmest setting?

Note that I am wondering if it can stay warm enough not cold enough. If I have to purchase a t-stat for this then this unit becomes more expensive than the wine cooler that I am looking at.

When I just plugged mine in last night and left it alone, I actually didn't even bother looking at the internal thermostat setting. For all I know, my *cold* fridge could be on the warmest setting right now, or the coldest for that matter. I'll take a look tonight and report back. It may not answer your question completely, but it will at least be one data point for you to consider.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what (if anything) may be lurking in the frame of this thing along the sides? Certainly no coolant lines. Maybe electronics or something else though? I'm contemplating drilling into the side to install a Love controller. Maybe I'll put it into the door, but I'll need to run an electric line in and out of it, so the side would be easier to do that with... Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll mount the Love Controller on the top of the frame, but I still may want to drill a small hole to run the temperature probe...

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what (if anything) may be lurking in the frame of this thing along the sides? Certainly no coolant lines. Maybe electronics or something else though? I'm contemplating drilling into the side to install a Love controller. Maybe I'll put it into the door, but I'll need to run an electric line in and out of it, so the side would be easier to do that with... Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll mount the Love Controller on the top of the frame, but I still may want to drill a small hole to run the temperature probe...

I have to say that I never shopped for a fridge before based on how poorly it works. :)

You have the unit there so you can see but often you can use the hole of the current thermostat to gain access to the wiring, drill a hole through to install new wiring and to run the love controller thermocouple.

I have been searching for a small fermentation fridge and this might work. It appears that a 6gal BB should work with the measurements that are listed. Has anyone put a 6gal BB with airlock or blowoff tube? I would love to know...I might buy one of these in the next couple of days.

Eric

I have been searching for a small fermentation fridge and this might work. It appears that a 6gal BB should work with the measurements that are listed. Has anyone put a 6gal BB with airlock or blowoff tube? I would love to know...I might buy one of these in the next couple of days.

Eric

I put an empty 6 gallon BB in there last night. The door just barely won't close--thus, I'm going to need to do some trimming on the inside of the door panel. I didn't bother putting on an airlock, but there is room to spare vertically, so I'm not worried about it. I'll put one on tonight and report back, but I'm confident it will fit just fine. See some of the earlier posts in this thread from EG6.

I put an empty 6 gallon BB in there last night. The door just barely won't close--thus, I'm going to need to do some trimming on the inside of the door panel. I didn't bother putting on an airlock, but there is room to spare vertically, so I'm not worried about it. I'll put one on tonight and report back, but I'm confident it will fit just fine. See some of the earlier posts in this thread from EG6.

Thanks, I would appreciate confirmation and photos are always helpful! I read through the whole thread twice to make sure I didn't miss it. I think EG6 only had a 5gal glass carboy, so I wanted to make sure a 6gal BB would fit. What area of DC are you in? I lived in Fairfax for a couple of years. It was nice, but I couldn't wait to not be in traffic all day anymore.

Eric

Thanks, I would appreciate confirmation and photos are always helpful! I read through the whole thread twice to make sure I didn't miss it. I think EG6 only had a 5gal glass carboy, so I wanted to make sure a 6gal BB would fit. What area of DC are you in? I lived in Fairfax for a couple of years. It was nice, but I couldn't wait to not be in traffic all day anymore.

Eric

No prob. I'll see what I can do. Be warned, I only have my crappy iPhone camera, so any pic I take will be grainy.

Yes, you're right, it looks like he does have a glass one. My bad, I thought it was a BB for some reason... In any event, I doubt the dimensions are much different. But, like I said, I'll try to confirm for you later tonight or tomorrow.

I'm in Gaithersburg, MD, but I drive into and out of DC every day. Trust me, I know exactly how you felt about the traffic here. It really is awful. :mad:

Two follow up items:

1) My beer that I put in the fridge was at 36* F when I tested it tonight. This was at the coldest setting.

2) The airlock on the 6 gal BB fits, but it bends as it hits the ceiling of the fridge interior. This is with a carboy cap--a bung may be shorter, but I don't have one to try. Not major, but it bends. I hooked up a blow off tube, which does not hit the interior ceiling at all, which is what I typically use anyway. I'll post pics tomorrow.

2) The airlock on the 6 gal BB fits, but it bends as it hits the ceiling of the fridge interior. This is with a carboy cap--a bung may be shorter, but I don't have one to try. Not major, but it bends. I hooked up a blow off tube, which does not hit the interior ceiling at all, which is what I typically use anyway. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I suspect it would be an inch or two shorter using a bung. I'd really like to see if someone gets one of these to fit in a NuCool before I spring for a BB.

Pictures as promised. Again, these are grainy, and the unit is in a spot in my basement that makes it pretty hard to take decent pictures. Alas:

First one shows how much room is left over at the base (i.e., for a blowoff setup. I'd estimate that the leftover room in the back corner is big enough for at least a standard pint glass, or something of similar dimensions, maybe bigger).

FermFridge001-1.jpg

Next, the airlock hitting the ceiling. If you really push the lock way down into the carboy cap, you might make it. I didn't have the time last night to play around with it though.

FermFridge003-1-2.jpg

FermFridge007-1.jpg

Finally, a blow off setup that does not hit the ceiling.

FermFridge006-1.jpg

FermFridge008-1.jpg

any idea if the "Beer and Wine" fermenters would fit in there? They are slightly wider than the ale pales, but i would like to know before i blow 75 bucks...

Back