Ginger in Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer321

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me at all?

I've got a nice finished clear lager sitting here, but I wanted to experiment with it and add a ginger flavour to it. I've seen some around, but I don't know how they do it.

I've added a ginger flavouring I found, but to my mind it just isn't the sort of thing i'm looking for exactly. It's not sweet enough.

What would you reccomend adding to a finished lager that would give it a nice sweet ginger flavour? I'd prefer not to add any artificial sweetners, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks!

I'd slice up some frozen ginger (very thin) and add it to the fermenter for a couple of weeks.

I did this to a sweet mead (with some Serranno chili pepper) and the ginger bite is in there.

However, ginger isn't sweet.

Cooked ginger is slightly sweeter. Most brews that are sweet and ginger have a higher FG, are flavored with malt when bottle conditioned (instead of sugar for carbonating), or have had a sweetener added.

Also, there are many different types of ginger - some of which are slightly sweet and less sharp and tangy.

I am starting a ginger brew this weekend. I will let you know how it goes and what I learn about it! (If I can find this thread again...)

Back