Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple pics of my newly finished Keezer. Pumpkin Ale and Watermelon Wheat on tap! Still a few additional things I want to do to it, but the beer is officially flowing nicely!

SAM_0364_zps2e14ee28.jpg

SAM_0366_zps20f1e2ac.jpg

Remodel on my old keg fridge.

ForumRunner_20120921_161909.jpg
Made enough room with the lower shelf to hold 4 kegs and a case of bottles below.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120921_161949.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120921_161949.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,191
Remodel on my old keg fridge.

View attachment 76584
Made enough room with the lower shelf to hold 4 kegs and a case of bottles below.

Nice dude. Is that chalkboard paint? I was thinking about doing that, but went with the wipe off handles instead. I still gotta get a false bottom in mine so I can hold more kegs. I'll lose the top shelf because the bottom will have to sit high, but I figure I can stash bottles under the kegs.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Nice dude. Is that chalkboard paint? I was thinking about doing that, but went with the wipe off handles instead. I still gotta get a false bottom in mine so I can hold more kegs. I'll lose the top shelf because the bottom will have to sit high, but I figure I can stash bottles under the kegs.

No chalk board paint yet. That's black enamel. I'm doing green chalk board paint in the form of comic book captions.

I've got a similar tap handle... black Snap-On prybar handle...

Best tap handle ever...I have them on all my faucets....this one, my other kegerator and my travel one (9 total)....There light and ergonomical (sp):)

Almost completely done with mine. I want to add a grill to the fan that blows air up to the tower. Right now I have a stout on tap with the nitrogen tank next to it. Normally I can fit two 5 gallons kegs inside.

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

I went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight on not only registering to post on HBT, but also to go premium to show my appreciation for this message board. I've spent the last few weeks quietly looking at every single kegerator build, searching out others' questions, as well as finding answers to questions I knew I'd hit and those along the way - JUST to make sure I knew what I was doing before ever getting started. This dream came true when my awesome next door neighbor (who has had a kegerator for quite a while - and I've been quite jealous) sent me some links to HBT showing off the awesome kegerators and keezers this community has built. I'd never known how "possible" it was until this guy moved in next door. So glad he did. The delay was costs. I wasn't sure how I could ever convince SWMBO that it would be a financially worth it. He and his wife were ready for a new larger side-by-side, and I got the text message that changed it all:

"Would you like a fridge [to make a kegerator] for 40 bucks?"

I knew it was in great shape, and they were just having it hauled off otherwise, so YES. PLEASE.

It would take a day or two more for them to get their new fridge, so the wheels in my head were churning... How to decorate this thing??? I'd thought about stickers as others have done. I'd thought about an Arkansas Razorbacks inspired one, etc. I wracked my brain for a day and a half and it hit me: this fridge is black like Guinness (I do realize Guinness is really a deep dark amber color), my favorite beer in the entire world! I then knew exactly what I'd do. I ordered a large vinyl decal from eBay. I ordered a kegerator conversion kit from beverage factory (SO easy to install these things!), and picked up some white engine paint, lumber, etc. I did some hella taping and covering, taping and covering to get the head lines right and avoid overspray. I lightly sanded all the plastic parts and painted them with white plastic paint to ensure proper bonding. Fortunately, the fridge was already quite spacious, so I only had to remove the inner shelves and build a sturdy keg shelf out of a sheet of plywood and some 2"x6" supports. Every door shelf was able to be retained leaving tons of room for bottles of other beers, cans, waters, with even more space for a 12 pack and a pack of water bottles under the keg shelf. I decided not to go with full size tap handles so I could always access the freezer without bumping the faucets wide open. The freezer is stocked with frozen mugs and some meat (as to please the wife). I built the floating drip tray out of about $20 worth of materials from home depot. It's just some red cedar pieces stained with red mahogany stain, a 2"x12" floor heater/AC register painted with black engine enamel and coated a few times with clear coat spray. About 10 hours of work in, and the "Pint o' Guinness kegerator" was born. Currently, I'm running a full keg of Diamond Bear Pale Ale (brewed in Little Rock) on tap, and have an empty cornelius ready for me to brew some Irish stout. I have the ingredient kit and all my equipment, I just need to find the time (and order the extra faucet - waiting until the stout is ready as by then I'm going with two Perlick 525ss's).

Enough jabbering, hope you enjoy...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

In the gravity bar (Guinness tour in Dublin, Ireland) - a pilgrimage:
6.jpg

WOW!! Very nice! I am a bit jealous. My build is on the back-burner, but some day I'll get it.

Here's my new kegerator build. Been planning it all summer long. It's a 1968 Kelvinator that used to be 70's green. So far I have it painted with an alabaster stone textured paint, an Alaskan diamond willow for a handle, a Love TSS2 for a temp controller and a motion sensor to turn on some waterproof LED strip lights. Also some heavy duty swivel caster wheels for ease of movement. Just got the TSS2 working last night.

I don't have the lights mounted yet. They are going to mount on the under side of a 3/8" thick HDPE divider that will slide into the upper plastic slides just under the ice box. I am also going to make a 1/2" thick HDPE shelf on the bottom for 4 kegs.

My plan is to have the divider (insulated if needed) keep it colder in the top of the fridge and a fan to circulate as needed from the top portion to the bottom. Not sure how convection is going to play into this, so I am going to just slide the divider in and test without a fan to see how the temps swing from the upper and lower sections. The shelving is going to extend all the way out to the door when the door is closed so that it will completely divide the upper and lower sections as well as be able to hold 4 kegs.

I have some stainless Perlick 525 faucets and stainless shanks on the way. Not sure what I want to do for a drip tray yet.

I was able to use the original wiring from the thermostat and light wiring to get my Line and Neutral supply for the TSS2 as well as power the fridge motor. I have an outlet mounted under the fridge that has the 12 volt power adapter plugged in it to power the 12 volt LED lights. I am using the motion sensor to supply power to the outlet box underneath to control the lights.

Hopefully I can keep this as clean as possible with the wiring and hoses.

I plan on using some TSS2 programming used on some side-by-side fridge conversions here on the forum.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105829135153783175240/Kegerator?authkey=Gv1sRgCMWwgcyR9ufhQw#5794216460610549234

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

IMG_6214.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

Whew, read them all. Many great ideas. I have about a 15cf chest freezer that will fit 6 cornys without the need for a collar. I'm wanting to do a LSU theme one. Not sure if I should build a coffin, put a collar on it or make one of those PVC bridges for the taps. How well do the PVC bridges work, and would there be a limit to the number of taps one could use on them, as long as the horizontal piece is long enough to accommodate the taps. I've all these ideas swarming in my mind. I also have a Darby Mini fridge at my store that I can jack and make two of them. I have 5 corneys now, all empty. :(

I finally got my Perlick 525SS in. Waiting for my stout faucet (and nitro mix tank, and nitro reg) to serve the Norther Brewer Dry Irish Stout I cooked up over the weekend. Back to the Perlick 525SS. OH. MY. GOD. AMAZING the difference between a cheap "kit" faucet and a real faucet. The ONLY foam I got out from a warm pour (warm as in hadn't poured one in quite some time so metal of faucet warmed up) was the foam for the head. A fast, low-foam pour. SO BEAUTIFUL. Gone are the days of a foam cup to have to pour the first only to set aside to begin pouring less-foamy glasses. If you have wondered whether or not a Perlick is worth the money.... YES. IT. IS.

I finally got my Perlick 525SS in. Waiting for my stout faucet (and nitro mix tank, and nitro reg) to serve the Norther Brewer Dry Irish Stout I cooked up over the weekend. Back to the Perlick 525SS. OH. MY. GOD. AMAZING the difference between a cheap "kit" faucet and a real faucet. The ONLY foam I got out from a warm pour (warm as in hadn't poured one in quite some time so metal of faucet warmed up) was the foam for the head. A fast, low-foam pour. SO BEAUTIFUL. Gone are the days of a foam cup to have to pour the first only to set aside to begin pouring less-foamy glasses. If you have wondered whether or not a Perlick is worth the money.... YES. IT. IS.

Oh man, you're gonna love those. Great faucets! I'm a little jealous of the creamer faucet, that'll be a nice addition to the Guinness fridge!

Oh man, you're gonna love those. Great faucets! I'm a little jealous of the creamer faucet, that'll be a nice addition to the Guinness fridge!

I priced a huge 40cf beer gas tank (full of gas) for $130 at airgas (don't have a tank for exchange). I'm another 3.5 weeks from serving day on the stout, so I'll wait on the gas. I actually found the stout faucet for only $35+7 shipping on ritebrew.com. I think they had two more. I wanted to get it even if I had to wait a few weeks or even months to use it because that's half the price you find them everywhere else.

cajunrph said:
Whew, read them all. Many great ideas. I have about a 15cf chest freezer that will fit 6 cornys without the need for a collar. I'm wanting to do a LSU theme one. Not sure if I should build a coffin, put a collar on it or make one of those PVC bridges for the taps. How well do the PVC bridges work, and would there be a limit to the number of taps one could use on them, as long as the horizontal piece is long enough to accommodate the taps. I've all these ideas swarming in my mind. I also have a Darby Mini fridge at my store that I can jack and make two of them. I have 5 corneys now, all empty. :(

I did the PVC bridge and cosmetically, I love it. Mitering 3 inch PVC was a little obnoxious but not too bad. I attached a small computer fan to circulate the cold air through the PVC. However, the three cons in terms of functionality are (1) accessing the shanks (I cut an access door in the back and put it on hinges however I have to keep it taped otherwise I lose a LOT of cold air), (2) cutting the shanks/ordering short shanks to clear the 3 inch PVC (cut mine with a hacksaw down to about 1.75". They were used so I didn't feel bad cutting them) and (3) if you don't insulate the PVC bridge well, you'll probably get a lot of condensation on the bridge. I used an old yoga mat on the horizontal and 2 verticals but the corners still condense a lot. Love the look but if I could do it again, I'd save myself the headache, time, money, and loss of cool air and install the shanks in the collar.

Hey everyone,
I've looked through the majority of pages to this thread.
My questions is....

I am looking to build a mini fridge style kegerator but would like to use a wine fridge. Both because I have access to one that will fit two cornys and a 5 pounder, and I like the look of the glass front.
Can I? Over heard that they won't chill down far enough. Mine says it will go down to 45 degrees. It has a condenser like any other mini fridge. Can I modify the thermostat Or replace it to get down to the mid thirtys?

Thanks all!!!!

Hey everyone,
I've looked through the majority of pages to this thread.
My questions is....

I am looking to build a mini fridge style kegerator but would like to use a wine fridge. Both because I have access to one that will fit two cornys and a 5 pounder, and I like the look of the glass front.
Can I? Over heard that they won't chill down far enough. Mine says it will go down to 45 degrees. It has a condenser like any other mini fridge. Can I modify the thermostat Or replace it to get down to the mid thirtys?

Thanks all!!!!

You will have to buy a temp contol unit, ranco, johnson controls A419 is what I use...

fireslayer said:
My Sanyo 4912 build with Ranco temperature controller and tower cooler.

But that a refrigerator which can achieve those colder temps.
Will a ranco controller permit me to achieve lower temps on a wine cooler?

Here is my fridge from college. Outfitted perfectly... Custom tap handle from a block of red oak spun on the lathe and wood block painted with chalkboard paint. Put on a piece of polished copper pipe on the bottom for looks.

Instead of buying a temp controller I adjusted the small screw on the bottom to bring the temp range up. Now the fridge sits a cool 45 deg. :)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

WOW!! Very nice! I am a bit jealous. My build is on the back-burner, but some day I'll get it.

Had I asked permission from my wife it never would have happened. Just had to do it. She was a little ticked when the conversion kit and decal came in. "You're ruining a perfectly good fridge." she said. Upon completion I got "Wow. It looks so much better than I was expecting. It really looks good." It could be the pregnancy hormones having her swing both ways, but I'll take it as a win.

Now she's not happy I've got a keg and homebrewing while she's pregnant and can't enjoy with me... :eek:

Well it happened, my amazing 40$ Craigslist deal of a steal Freezer crapped out after a month. I also noticed it was a huge power hog too, so instead of fixing it, I bought new, and smaller. I got a 8.8 c feet power efficient one, and its much prettier.

I carefully pried the collar off of the old one, and disassembled it, and cut it down to the new size, and reassembled it. Here is the new one, looking quite like the old one, but smaller, prettier and lest costly!

I think I can get 4 kegs inside, and possible 5th on the shelf if I wanted to but only 2 for now.

Still need a drip tray and to finish my redwood handles.

NewKeezer.jpg

NewInside.jpg

NewTap.jpg

Signed the lease for a ski condo this year with a few friends - decided that no ski condo would be complete without it's own kegerator.

This guy can fit 4 kegs with the tank outside, but I think i'm going to stick with just three to keep it neat. Off to RiteBrew for some gear - i'll be painting and building the collar for this before GABF Saturday

282287_673164730740_496195838_n.jpg

What kind of freezer is that MrTheKing? I think I'd like a chest big enough for 2 or 3 kegs but I'm kind of leaning towards and stand up freezer to have shelves and do lagering.

Back