Contaminated Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I checked on my batch of hefe this afternoon. I found a bunch of white spots floating on the surface. When I popped the airlock to look/smell I snapped a quick pic. It has a bit of a sulphery smell mixed in with the usual banana notes.

Since this is only my 6th batch of beer this isn't something I have run into before. They appear to clusters of tiny bubbles. Will these drop out like krausen when fermentation is complete? This is a standard extract hefe recipe from northern brewer brewed on march 20th. High krausen has already come and gone.

What am I looking at here? (and don't say beer!)

image-571094420.jpg

image-439937905.jpg

I thought that was a possibility. Is there anything that leads to the formation of them? This is my third batch of hefe with the same recipe so I'm just curious if I did something.

This was a giant yeast raft of some weizen yeast. The article it came from states that the beer turned out JUST fine. If this is OK, your small rafts are OK :)

Giant_Colony_WY3068-1.jpg

Yup thats all i needed to see to put my mind at ease!

Last thing i want to do is throw a batch of beer! i was thinking last night that if it is funky id run off and get some brett and pitch that, sit on it for a lot longer and see.

BTW, sulfur is a pretty common aroma produced during fermentation, especially for wheat beers. Nothing to worry about.

Pics are from my iPhone. The flash inside of my ferm chamber = poorly exposed photo.

Back