After pitching the dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm76

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best to do?

Is it to just pitch the dry yeast over the wort and leave it there?
Or is it best to stir it until it dissolve in the wort?

You can just toss it right in there and it will probably work fine, but to maximize the living cell count you'll want to wake it up more gently. It's best to first stir the yeast into a sanitized container with some water in the 90-100 degree range, ideally with just a teaspoon of sugar. Wait a half hour and it should be foaming up nicely: then it's ready to pitch in.

Palmer's book recommends re-hydrating the yeast and "proofing" it with a teaspoon of sugar. I have subsequently read on these boards, however, that proofing is no longer recommended. I have proofed and not proofed and had favorable results either way. Hydrating is highly recommended, but not absolutely required.

I was wondering what is the best to do?

Is it to just pitch the dry yeast over the wort and leave it there?
Or is it best to stir it until it dissolve in the wort?

Either way seems to work for me. It is just the brewers choice. I tend to rehydate and stir it in, but I can't see a differance when I don't.

Either way seems to work for me. It is just the brewers choice. I tend to rehydate and stir it in, but I can't see a differance when I don't.

So i can just shake the fermenter good first before i add the dry yeast, then sprinkel the dry Yeast on to the wort and stir it until it dissolve?

Is that ok?

Storm, that is the way that I have always done it. It was recommended to me to get the wort down to about 70deg., pour it into the primary. Seal it up as best you can, put primary on top of a tennis ball and swirl / shake as best you can for 5 minutes. Sprinkel the dry yeast in, give it a stir w/ a sanitized spoon - set up a blow-off system, control your fermenting temps in the low to mid 60's and wait for 3 weeks to a month.

Storm, that is the way that I have always done it. It was recommended to me to get the wort down to about 70deg., pour it into the primary. Seal it up as best you can, put primary on top of a tennis ball and swirl / shake as best you can for 5 minutes. Sprinkel the dry yeast in, give it a stir w/ a sanitized spoon - set up a blow-off system, control your fermenting temps in the low to mid 60's and wait for 3 weeks to a month.

Ok, then i will try it this way. I am jusing Danstar Nottingham to my muntons gold continental pilsner 3 kg. (I know it says pilsner, but it will become an Ale) My brew shop told me to pitch it on my wort at 76*F, just to get i started faster.

Then i thought i would put the fermenter in a room with a temp on 62-66*F

Doesn`t this sound ok?

That's what I did with my first batch, and the Nottingham blew the lid off of my fermenter. I say go for it, but make sure you have a blowoff tube installed!

Back