Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhino17 said:
Since it will be outside all year(except winter), I have plans to build a removable top that goes on when the kegs are put away, and converts it into a bench!

Great idea, and hey, if you also build some cushions for the tops of the kegs you can turn your rig into seating for six! :mug:

Been waiting a long time to be able to post in this thread...

Bugeater_Brewery.jpg

Really enjoying seeing everyones rigs. Hopefully I'll be done with mine within a month or so. I'll post asap though.

I absolutely am in love with mine. Its been operational for 3 weeks, and I have 30 gallons of beer to show for it. GOOD beer too!

Someone asked about the 4th keggle in my build. The stand was built to brew 2 13 gallon batches on the same day.

So the hot liquor is the top, then a mash tun/kettle, lauter tun and then one more mash tun/kettle.

I can mash 2 batches staggered about 45 minutes apart. Then transfer the 1st mash into the LT and run back to the mash/kettle combo. Once that brew is done running off the 2nd mash is transfered to the LT and run back to the other kettle.

The 2 brews cool back to back.

That is 22 gallons in 4 carboys in about 6 hours!!

Someone asked about the 4th keggle in my build. The stand was built to brew 2 13 gallon batches on the same day.

So the hot liquor is the top, then a mash tun/kettle, lauter tun and then one more mash tun/kettle.

I can mash 2 batches staggered about 45 minutes apart. Then transfer the 1st mash into the LT and run back to the mash/kettle combo. Once that brew is done running off the 2nd mash is transfered to the LT and run back to the other kettle.

Now that is impressive:rockin:

I'm not sure I completely followed. It sounds like you're doing the following.

- Mash in #2 and #4 (staggered)
- Dump the mash from #2 into #3
- Sparge from #3 back to #2 to boil
- Dump the spent grains out of #3
- Dump the mash from #4 into #3
- Sparge from #3 back to #4 to boil
- Dump the spent grains out of #3

If that's the case, I think setting two vessels up as mash/later tuns (instead of a single lauter tun) could save you some work (two mash transfers specifically).

You could have: HLT, MLT/BK, MLT, BK

- Mash in MLT (#2) and MLT (#3)
- Sparge from MLT (#2) to BK (#4) to boil
- Dump and clean out MLT (#2). Not it becomes your target BK
- Sparge from MLT (#3) to MLT/BK (#2) to boil

Make sense?

I've done a few back-to-back pipelined brews, too. Here's one thread detailing my process. The 4th vessel might have cut off ~ 30 mins, but I think only if I had someone there helping me manage things. I was pretty busy as it was, and I finished in 5 hrs, 20 mins.

Lil' Sparky - You got the gist of my brew day spot on. And you are right about saving some time by transferring one less mash.

Although I like having a dedicated lauter tun and the 2 mash/kettles. The transfer of grain only takes me about 5-10 minutes and is really easy because the LT is in the middle of the 2 mash/kettle combos. By having a mash tun I can dough in at one temp and then bring it up to say mash out and have the ability to stir the mash without a false bottom in the way.

I hear you about getting busy on those double brew days!!

Sure feels good when you look at all that beer you brewed though!:D

Lil' Sparky - You got the gist of my brew day spot on. And you are right about saving some time by transferring one less mash.

Although I like having a dedicated lauter tun and the 2 mash/kettles. The transfer of grain only takes me about 5-10 minutes and is really easy because the LT is in the middle of the 2 mash/kettle combos. By having a mash tun I can dough in at one temp and then bring it up to say mash out and have the ability to stir the mash without a false bottom in the way.

I hear you about getting busy on those double brew days!!

Sure feels good when you look at all that beer you brewed though!:D

So how do you go about getting the mash water and grain from one to the other?

This is going to sound like a pain in the _ _ _.

I use about a pot with a handle. I know, I know, I know..what a pain you are thinking. About 10 scoops for 30 pounds of mash. The whole thing is done at waist level, 3 inches from keg to keg and at arms length. Scooping is done in 2-4 minutes then the mash rests for 5 before recirc.

It really is not that bad. When both keggles were on burners on the ground....that really was a pain!

All for the beer!

This is going to sound like a pain in the _ _ _.

I use about a pot with a handle. I know, I know, I know..what a pain you are thinking. About 10 scoops for 30 pounds of mash. The whole thing is done at waist level, 3 inches from keg to keg and at arms length. Scooping is done in 2-4 minutes then the mash rests for 5 before recirc.

It really is not that bad. When both keggles were on burners on the ground....that really was a pain!

All for the beer!

See, I think the beauty of a stand is that you don't have to do any of that. Everything's where's it's supposed to be, and you don't have to do the lifting, scooping, etc. (with the possible exception of dumping the MLT). Take some time and work through the difference in what I suggested. I think it would make your brew days that much nicer. There's no way I'd want to scoop two different mashes (plus the dumps) if I didn't have to.

BTW, I've got a false bottom on mine, and it really doesn't "get in the way". It just sits there below the grain.

Have you even used your 10 Gallon Brutus yet ? :p

yeppers 3 times already. I have 30 gallons in the carboys right now.

I kind of miss the build. That was almost as much fun as brewing. I would have to get a decent offer on mine first before I made any decisions though

yeppers 3 times already. I have 30 gallons in the carboys right now.

I kind of miss the build. That was almost as much fun as brewing. I would have to get a decent offer on mine first before I made any decisions though

I have been thinking about going and building something like that. But before I do I need to run hot and cold water to the barn, NA gas out there and get two more big-A-kettles. If I'm going to go to all pumps I want to be able to brew 30-40 gal.

Here's my new brewstand! I just ran a water test this afternoon and found out that I need to add some insulation between the HLT burner and my control panel, and also that I need to pull some jets out from the HLT and MLT jet burners (as has been shown by several people here already - just confirmed it for my set up). :D

Here is mine which I modeled after the one done by Bernie Brewer with a movable lower pad.
Thanks for the info and great pictures BB!

I still have to plumb the gas to the burners and do some painting, but you get the idea.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

First I tried from my hd, then I figured that didn't work and tried to upload my pictures to flickr but our firewall doesn't allow us to upload files.

Thanks Lil' Sparky! :mug:

I got the material from the container store for a pretty decent price.

I really like how people can see something completely unrelated to brewing and say "Hey that would make a perfect brew stand, and I wouldn't have to do hardly anything to it." Nice thinking boothbrew!

Back