Learn be experience: Don't leave DME open on the counter during brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
So I measured the weight of the DME using a scale and a bowl and in the end I had a large pile of DME powder in a bowl. So then I brew. Then at the end of the boil I go to add the DME as a late addition.

The surface powder had formed a hard crust a 1/4 of an inch thick. Had to smash it open with a spoon.

Dang stuff is *sticky*. Next time I'll put it in a tupperware container with a lid on.

Just thought I'd share.

I don't measure mine out (if using for the boil) till the water boils. For PM brews,it all goes in at the end anyway. But the stuff is def very hydroscopic.

D'oh! Not measure till ready to use! Why didn't I think of that?

Seriously. Why the *heck* didn't I? I don't know but somehow it seriously never occurred to me. ... Guess I'm a little *too* focused in my new hobby.

Anyhoo, it was kind of funny. It *looked* like a pile of powder untill I tried to pour it. Nothing. Tap it with my finger. A *perfect* ceramic sculpture of a pile of powder. Firmer than any pie crust sealing the bowl air tight.

Invariable it gets onto kitchen counters, floors and onto the survace of everything including notebooks, pajamas and the television in the living. Weirdly persistent stuff.

I hate that stuff. Try pouring it into a flask for a starter. It clumps up around the mouth of the flask and is impossible to get off. Then everywhere the powder touches leaves a sticky, lumpy mess that instantly turns as hard as concrete. I use bleach spray and I still can't get it all off.

I mix DME in a small sauce pan of boiling water for starters. Then pour it in & cool it down with sanitized aluminum foil ofer the flask top.

Makes me wish I still had that old metal percolator pot I had for camping. Put the DME in the basket & perc away.

Back