Grain stalks in my grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHoarder

Reaction score
A few months back I purchased a 55lb bag of Canada Malting Co. Superior 2row grain. I'm about half-way into the bag and I've begun to notice a fair bit of what looks to be pieces of grain stalk (about 1" long) floating in my mash. Maybe I only noticed it now because my last mash was a higher grain/water ratio and that stuff was able to float to the top above the grains.
I don't think it's enough to affect my efficiency but I do find it odd that bits of grain stalk would be in the grain. Has anyone else had this experience?

That's what happens. Rocks are more of a pain though. Almost broke my wrist grinding with my corona mill and drill when I hit a rock.

Watch out for the floor malted marris otter. Always seems to have rocks.

A few months back I purchased a 55lb bag of Canada Malting Co. Superior 2row grain. I'm about half-way into the bag and I've begun to notice a fair bit of what looks to be pieces of grain stalk (about 1" long) floating in my mash. Maybe I only noticed it now because my last mash was a higher grain/water ratio and that stuff was able to float to the top above the grains.
I don't think it's enough to affect my efficiency but I do find it odd that bits of grain stalk would be in the grain. Has anyone else had this experience?

Had the exact same thoughts about a bag of CMC malt. The superior pale ale. I think what makes it superior is you get a few pounds of the actual farmers field in every bag. It was filthy, stems and seeds, ditch weed malt. Dirty as hell. I use Best Malz normally and just took for granted that malt is all malt.

I tried contacting their customer service on several occasions with no response. Very unimpressed. I am done with them.

Back