when to DFH Rack to 2nd and dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
After three days in primary the yeast activity has slowed to Small trub falling and 1 bubble/4 seconds @ 68 f. OG at pitch was 1.071. Is it time to rack to secondary and Dry Hop?

I usually wait a week or 10 days before racking. Even after alot of the major fermentation is finishing up, the yeast are still busy working. Especially in a high og beer like that one, I might even wait two weeks before racking.

The Clone Recipe calls for 3-5 on Dry Hops in 2nd then crash cool @32f. Then the suggestion is a week in primary, then 3-5 days in 2nd with Dry Hop Bag and a day crash to drop the trub. Right? Or should I sneak a hydro reading after a week then decide when to Rack?

I'd go with hydro readings and keep in mind what Yooper said as well. Leave that bad boy in the primary for at least 10 days. And secondary for no less than 2 weeks. You'll be glad you did.

It's home brew no need to rush things. It is done when its done. Take a gravity reading and you will know when the fermentation has finished.

AH **** Patients, Now where,d I leave,m. Alright thanks Guys! Guess I still have a few American Ale's for now.

Real beer isn't rushed. Crap like Budweiser doesn't get better with age, which is why only the BMC crowd is fanatical about their beer going from grain to can in under 2 weeks.

It's not a substitute for good sense, hydrometer readings, and patience, but the 1-2-3 method is quite effective in most cases:

1 week in primary (or until vigorous fermentation ceases and FG is nearly attained)
2 weeks in secondary (or until FG is completely stable and beer is almost perfectly clear)
3 weeks in the bottle/keg for final conditioning

OK got a hydro reading tonight of 1.020@ 68f= 1.021 SG. Down from 1.071 OG. BeerSmith #'s Esti. 1.020 FG and for Style it states 1.012-1.018 FG. Stick to the 1-2-3?

Gnome said:
OK got a hydro reading tonight of 1.020@ 68f= 1.021 SG. Down from 1.071 OG. BeerSmith #'s Esti. 1.020 FG and for Style it states 1.012-1.018 FG. Stick to the 1-2-3?

Well, yes, I would. Or even 2-2-3. That's a big beer and can use the time on the yeast cake. Remember that even when active fermentation is done, the yeast "clean up" after themselves, eating their own waste products and making your beer better. They do this before racking into the clearing tank. So, you can gain by leaving it in the primary fermenter longer even though it's hard to be patient!

(I brewed my clone today of it- my house smells so good!)

YooperBrew said:
Well, yes, I would. Or even 2-2-3. That's a big beer and can use the time on the yeast cake. Remember that even when active fermentation is done, the yeast "clean up" after themselves, eating their own waste products and making your beer better. They do this before racking into the clearing tank. So, you can gain by leaving it in the primary fermenter longer even though it's hard to be patient!

(I brewed my clone today of it- my house smells so good!)

You are not kidding it smells good!!! All the hops!!!

Latest posts

Back