Can it be too cold to bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Hi, moved some of my beers that aren't quite at their best into the garden shed. They need a bit more time to condition. Problem is that it's dropping below 0C every other night now. I assume that'll cause the yeast to drop out completely, does that mean the flavour profile will stop improving? Is it only the yeast that causes 'conditioning/ageing' improvements in flavour or is there other stuff happening that'll continue to improve the beer?

To be clear, when you say "bottle conditioning" do you mean natural carbonation in the bottle? Or do you mean aging the beer in the bottle?

If the beer's already carbonated and you just want to age it, temperature is much less important. But I wouldn't put them anywhere with huge temperature swings, or where they might freeze. To be honest a garden shed sounds like a horrible place to cellar beer. Do you have a basement? If not, a dark closet or cabinet works well. Try to keep the temperature consistent and cool (50-60 deg) if you can.

Thanks guys, yes referring to ageing the beer after carbonation is complete. Question answered!

Back