S-33 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriqq

Reaction score
Try this yeast if you haven't already. I just went back to it after trying for the first time and I'm very impressed.

It is fast and furious - will go from 1.07 to 1.01 in 3-4 days. Yeast doesn't drop-out until about 1.002 but a few weeks of aging brings that smooth apple taste back again.

I have 2 kegs of it now - one that I crashed at 1.008 (estimated 8.2% from 1.068 SG) and one that I let go to 1.002 (with additional sugar - estimated 10%). Both are excellent.

Ditto on the S-33. Furious yeast. I bet you could put four pounds of leather, a bowling pin, and two gallons of maple syrup into a fermenter and this stuff would gnaw right through it. It's like some Andromeda Strain yeast.

I made some brown aleish beer thing the other day, came in at I think 1.065 or something. It looked like a gale warning krausen within a few hours. Three days later, the beer is clear. I'm afraid to stick my hand in there to get a sample lest it come out with just bones and ligaments left. I haven't tasted it yet so who knows if the speed also brings Yum or if its just ho hum.

My cider was 1.056 dropped to 1.008 within 72 hours. I bottled, carbed, and pasteurized. Looks ultra hazy like orange juice so hopefully it will clear in a few months. But still quite tasty even though it's quite juvenile.

Back