East Coast-West Coast Brew Off WTF?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is pretty bad on their part. If you are going to send an email to lots of people stating why you just ripped them off, there should probably be some thought behind it. As well as a better "make it right" plan.

Now it just looks like that homebrew club gets lots of free beer.

They should be putting ground labels and shipping everything back. How did they not know about 30 "hidden" entries they had at some obscure location?

Everyone who entered the competition had to fill out an online form in order to print the labels for their beer. Therefore they had to be able to track how many entries there were by following the online registration database. they would have to be completely retarded to not know how many entries there were.

This is just a bummer all around.

To make things better, I offer to host an AHA sanctioned homebrew comptetition in it's place. Just send 3... no make it 4, homebrews to my house along with a $5 entry fee and maybe $2 for drinking I mean handling.

Please don't send any sours beers. yuck!

I got another email this morning asking that all participants respond whether they want their beers judged by homebrewers. I'm not even responding. Hopefully, I get a response for the AHA after the holidays. Everyone else involved in this mess should email the AHA also.

I might write him again tomorrow but I'm not ruining my Thanksgiving thinking about this nonsense any more.

I didn't enter this comp, but this Art guy is such a tool I can't help but feel that he is personally to blame. I can't imagine 5 BJCP judges saying "Yes I will judge Thanksgiving weekend", and then all deciding "Oh wait, I'll be at moms" at the last minute.

My instinct is that the judges were never properly notified, they maybe got something like "hey dood cud yu juj a competishun in a wile?". They said yes so he set the thing up and then last weekend he called them and got "Are you ****ing nuts? Its Thanksgiving retard!" So that's how it got to this point.

The point is that this is an insult to every homebrewer and it is unacceptable. This guy is obviously a complete moron and isn't going to want to take direct responsibilty so that means there's going to have to be some kind of action taken. I would want to know which judges were going to be involved. I kind of doubt that they are personally responsible when it comes down to it, but there's got to be some way to sully this guys reputation to the point that nobody in the beer world will have anything to do with him. It will take some energy to make it happen though.

Make sure to post back with whatever tasting notes they share with you, as I'm certain they'll be the best quality tasting notes any of us has ever seen... :D

usfmikeb said:
Make sure to post back with whatever tasting notes they share with you, as I'm certain they'll be the best quality tasting notes any of us has ever seen... :D

The bier wuz gud

I told him to judge my beers. I'm not worried about getting my beer back so I might as well make him work for it.

I asked if any BJCP certified judges would be participating or if it's just the homebrew club members that will be judging. The answer was that it will just be the homebrew club members.

I too opted to participate. I figure I'm not local so I can't pick them up and I'm sure as hell not paying again to have them shipped back. It's pretty disappointing, but it is what it is.

I chose to ignore him. My beers were with Kirk's, so maybe they will get "judged", maybe they won't. I don't care either way. Based on the emails we have been receiving, I'm in no need of the feedback they will provide. "Neds mer choclet" isn't going to do me any good. Neither will "Plese sind fur mer botlles fur Best of Showe. My dog will b juging it."

I am more concerned with getting a response from the AHA. Both emails I sent returned automatic responses regarding Thanksgiving, so I am hoping for a response next week. As long as I don't see "East Coast vs West Coast II" next year, I'll be happy.

Until then,

Peas ought, dueds! Happie Thxgving, da newst holdaye en da wurld!

Plese sind fur mer botlles fur Best of Showe. My dog will b juging it."

Dog_20Beerg.jpg

:drunk:

Gary Glass responded to me today:

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. The BJCP handles all competition registrations, so I checked in with David Houseman, the Competition Director for the BJCP. David indicated he had received a complaint about the competition and had checked in with the competition director. Here’s David’s response:

“They had about 40+ entries but only got one BJCP judge to sign up so they cancelled the formal competition but agreed to refund the entry fees and to go ahead and judge the entries and provide feedback to the entrants.”

From David’s response, it sounds like they are going to go ahead with the judging, but didn’t want to take the entrant’s money given that they did not have as many BJCP judges as they had intended.

Neither the AHA nor BJCP have direct control over any competition. The purpose of the Sanctioned Competition Program is to provide a framework for running competitions, including forms, procedures and awarding points for judges. If a competition fails to meet the few requirements of running a sanctioned competition, we can decline to sanction the competition in the future. There is nothing in the sanctioning guidelines dealing with cancelation of competitions and no minimum requirement for BJCP ranked judge participation, so no specific rule that has been violated in this case. As such, there is not much we can do other than refuse future sanctioning if this becomes a pattern for this particular competition.

Cheers!
Gary

Gary Glass
Director

On top of that, my package was returned! As Neovox stated, the address I shipped to (provided by the idiot running the comp), was for a closed business. At least I got my beer back! All told, I'm out $11 and I now know that the AHA responds personally to emails regarding problems.

I entered it too, and was pissed when I got the cancellation notice. I only just now saw this thread, and think that this bum got himself a totally sweet Thanksgiving party. 3 beers per entry (I was entry #74) means that he had 222 beers to share with friends. Bum.

On top of that, my package was returned! As Neovox stated, the address I shipped to (provided by the idiot running the comp), was for a closed business

classic.

Reading his response email makes me feel like I got tricked into going to 4chan.

don't ever, ever, talk about that awful place......

How are you shipping your beer? FedEx nor UPS will take it if you do not have a license?

His letter is exactly what every teacher in America has been fearing since the introduction of spell check.

I'm teaching a business communications class. Art's email is exactly the kind of thing I warn my students not to do if they intend to be successful in business. Somebody needs to explain to Art where the shift key is on the keyboard.

I think it is safe to say

WEST COAST WINS!

hahahahaha in all seriousness this is awful and I am really glad I didn't enter.

Sorry to those of you who were swindled

Airborneguy said:
I don't ship beer. I ship yeast ;)

My UPS store knows me as the guy who sells yeast to people online.

Any incidental contents is not intended for consumption.

I'm teaching a business communications class. Art's email is exactly the kind of thing I warn my students not to do if they intend to be successful in business. Somebody needs to explain to Art where the shift key is on the keyboard.

I think someone should point Art in the direction of a Grade School. He cleerly needs a refresher coarse in speling.

This thread was a great read over lunch today. Thank you for posting this ridiculous experience for all of us to experience vicariously. I felt your pain and frustration throughout the entire process.

Back